Saturday, May 24, 2003

I really don't understand what happened to our society. Why even the smallest acts of personal service or doing little things for NO reason have just completely dissipated. I get frustrated over this every single time I go shopping, but especially grocery shopping. There is little that resembles customer service, and you're lucky if they even bag your groceries decently. In fact, I think this is why there's been such an advent of this "check your own damned self out" things in stores -- that is just one less area where you have to be dealt with as a customer. "We just want your money, ma'am -- and even if you discontinue shopping here because we treat you so shabbily it doesn't matter. Everyone else will continue to shop here and even though they will bitch about the service too, they'd rather go around the corner than travel any distance to get real service." Of course, that distance would have to be travelled back in TIME so that may be why so few are willing to go there!!

And then it's the little things... I live in a townhouse so share some common lawn with two of my neighbors. I try to mow as soon as you can't see the door anymore and will ALWAYS mow as much as their little section as seems decent. My neighbors to the right do not reciprocate this. They do only their little section and NOTHING beyond that, as if anything else would just clog their lawnmower.

And in both of these circumstance, the reason that these things are done so shoddily is because they are being handled by teenagers. And I'm only 30 and yet here I am ALREADY bitching about those damned teenagers. The disrespect and the lack of anything resembling common courtesy... (The cashier at the grocery store was YELLING at the bagger because they were trying to talk and he was mumbling. Here's a thought -- how about talking to the cus-to-mers? I was bowled over with the irony that below her name on the nametag it said "I'm here to serve YOU!" Yeah, right) But I think the reason I'm already developing bitterness about this is because while I was typical, surly teenager -- I was not disrespectful to complete strangers and I DID take care of the shared part of my neighbor's lawn when I was on lawn duty. It was instilled in me that that was the right thing to do, because they did it for us. It was just that simple. And since I lack the ambition needed to take over the world, then THIS is the generation that's going to be responsible for me. Bag your owned damned groceries and take care of your own darned lawn, I'm busy. And you're just annoying anyways...

Just wanted to fire that off briefly -- having what S is calling an "Eminem get-together" because to-night, I'm cleaning out my CLOSET! Of liquor! And my frig of beer!

Bet y'all wish you had my address you underaged teenagers!
HP

No comments:


Popular Posts