Friday, July 11, 2003

Vignette, briefly (er, isn't a vignette brief by nature? Well, whatever -- it's early.)... I've been trying to stop making every other blog about "oh, S is so this or that", although I do realize I'm not always terribly successful at that (see Hone & Pookie homage below). Still, I know more than ANYONE just how annoying happy couples are. Or, at least, girls who can't stop talking about their boyfriends all the time. Ick, I definitely don't want to be one of those girls, and in real life I'm not as much... This is also a double-edged sword because he IS the person with whom I spend most of my time so he's gonna come up in conversation...

Anyways, so I HAVE been trying to do this but this is not one of those entries. Because I realized that he is responsible for something that I bet he doesn't even realize he changed. (Can't y'all just hear him? What did I do NOW, Heather?)

A few weeks ago we had a fairly meaty conversation about my writing. He repeatedly complimented me on my writing skills (although, one would have to pause to reflect that much of my writing is ABOUT him) and said that he thought I should try to write a book. A WHOLE book, not just the novel some of my entries feel like. I was overwhelmingly flattered by this, you just don't even know. People have paid me compliments through the years and this is always appreciated, but there's something about getting this kind of compliment from the person whom you are dating. It's the feeling that this person actually GETS who I am and what makes me tick and that is a really amazing gift. So, as a result of that I have made a concerted effort to try to keep the content of the blog "worthy." I still try to keep up with the day to day nuances, but I try to make them richer, more calorie-laden than some past entries. When you read a sentence or a phrase, I want you to really feel what it is that I'm feeling and be able to experience it on some levels like it's happening to you. Yet I still want to be able to write in a relaxed, free-flow kind of way so you can get an idea of how I talk. Because it's my opinion that those closest to me continue to feel close to me through my writing because it sounds like how I talk.

Well, I think this is too long to really qualify as a vignette now, but if I take that out I have to edit the whole first paragraph and trust me when I say -- I am NOT that anal about the writing.

Yet. ;-)

No comments:


Popular Posts