Tuesday, July 15, 2003

perceptions

Sometimes I think that I've blogged about everything there is to blog about. I've spent my 2 cents several times over. Even my friends tell me they recall things I've blogged about from conversations I've had with them. Did the conversation inspire the blog or did the blog inspire the conversation?

The chicken or the egg?

The lady or the tiger??

But then... The beauty of my life is that I am surrounded by people who are absurb. Even people who don't KNOW they are absurd. Even people who don't even know ME!

For example. There is a man at work. I'm not sure how tall he is because I have only seen him while I'm sitting in the breakroom eating my lunch, but he's not terribly tall. Perhaps a little taller than my average-for-a-girl 5'5" (and a half!) but not much. He has a bowl cut hair cut the color of someone's dog -- not a color you'd see L'Oreal pushing people to give a try. But his most distinctive physical characteristic is this huge thick beard. One of those wrap-around your face kind, you get the feeling he's saving the hair to someday comb back over his clearly thinning hair. (Not sure how he'll see but maybe he has a plan.) The kind of beard that you're just SURE things are lost in -- crumbs from his breakfast toast, toothpaste, a comb -- maybe a small animal even. But more than that is his voice. He has the appearance of a man who would have a whispery, soft voice so when he opens his mouth and out pours this loud, deep resonant voice -- like Santa's black sheep brother -- it's a bit of a shock. I'm quite sure that when we are sitting in the open area of the break room where you can SEE down to the first floor that they can hear him all the way down there as well. The boom of his voice can probably most be likened to a male version of my own. (If you're just a happenstance reader, I can't help you. You'll have to wait til Heather's Head goes to the 900# format to get that thrill.)

Here's where the question of absurdity and perception comes into play... I know this man's voice because every day, at every break I've ever share with him (which, to be fair, is not ALL the time but frequently) he calls his wife. And is overly interested in her whereabouts and goings-on and daily events. Often offers to stop and bring things home. Inquires what her plans are for the REST of the day, after she gets off the phone with him. Then presumably calls on his next break to see if she followed through with those plans. Always with a tone of loving concern and interest.

It's strange to me. How can he have anything to talk to her about when he gets home from work if he is tracking all of her movements all day?? And HOW does she put up with that? That would drive me up the friggin' wall. So, of course -- this makes me wonder about her. Who is this woman that is married to this strange little man who won't let her get a moments peace from him?? How did this get started? Did she think it was cute at first that he was so interested in her daily events? Was he always so interested? Is he THIS concerned that she has a life when he is not around? Doesn't he want his wife to be well-rounded?

But, it's all about perception isn't it? Maybe she's grateful for this level of attentiveness. Maybe she was married to an alcoholic non-communicator before she was married to this guy. Maybe she suffers from some sort of panic disorder and he is genuinely concerned about her safety. (He definitely makes far more money than I if they can afford to just have one person working.) The thing is -- all I will ever know about this situation is what I overhear from him. Even if I were at some company function where they both were, it's not like I could go up to her and say YOU'RE THAT WOMAN! Because even I don't do things like that.

I don't.

Still, mile in someone's shoes in all that. Ever wonder if people wonder what YOUR story is? I think they do. That's why I tell it here!

love you mean it!
-HP

No comments:


Popular Posts