Saturday, July 19, 2003

get me to the church on time

Went to a wedding tonight w/S. Normally, I love weddings and I leave feeling all shiny/happy with a renewed faith in forever and all that stuff that goes along with it.

But, we got their late. And it was the fastest wedding in history, so there wasn't a lot of chance to renew my faith. We were MAYBE 7 minutes late and they were already at the "do you? Do you?" part. Then, there was the inevitable nervous relative attempting to sing some song about forever but it was not even awe-inspiring in a scary way.

The bride couldn't resist the fairy-tale look, even though it's my opinion that there comes a place (and size) in life where you should resist all of that. Still, the dress was gorgeous and she seemed to have the bride glow, so it was nice.

The problem was that it was in the older section of Norfolk, built in the times before a/c. Bad idea in July. We were ALL glowing, and it wasn't just because we were so happy for the bride and groom. I have pools in my bra that some species could survive in for long periods of time with great happiness. S reached levels of water leakage that would cause some cities water shortages for great periods of time. It's hard to be too happy for folks when you are melting (said in the voice of that witch from The Wizard of Oz who came from the bad direction -- you just want to hope they do okay and BOLT!

So, I'm going to go bury myself in my freezer and then take a very cold shower and think about what "happily ever after" is supposed to mean. Sometimes, I like to pretend that I have never been married, so I can imagine what my perfect wedding day would be like and pretend like it's the very first one. Picture all of the details and imagine my reactions. (In this fantasy, I have the money to throw the wedding without having to fret about spending my retirement money) The flowers and the dress and the look on S's face when he sees me coming down the aisle in all of my elegant glory. Picture him feeling foolish because he cried after making fun of all the other guys who do. And me crying because HE cried -- after I made fun of all the brides who do.

I like to imagine this stuff for a little while. Helps put the cynicism on edge sometimes, and even I need that!

Off to vege -- love you mean it!
-hp

No comments:


Popular Posts