Thursday, April 17, 2003

Tales from the Cube

Some days I actually get a higher than usual amount of enjoyment from my job. The stars are in alignment or whatever happens and somehow I wind up with good calls and non-fussy people. Some days I even get people with a sense of humor who appreciate my crazed & dazed approach to customer service and allow me to perform my full stand-up routine. Those are REALLY good days! But today I got to marry someone! I didn't even know I was licensed for that! It was thrilling, I felt like Joey on that episode of Friends.

What had happened was that guy calls up just for some basic comparison stuff -- he had two cars and was trading one in for a newer car this weekend. Well, he got to thinking about it and was thinking that maybe he didn't want to trade in the car he SAID he was and just wanted to see what the difference was in the premium. We ran the numbers and he didn't understand the rates because suddenly, one car was going to cost a lot less to insure than it should have... I looked at his most recent dec page and did some investigating and it turned out that when he and his wife got married we never married them on their auto policy. Consequently, in the state where they lived because of her age and her unmarried status she was considered "youthful" -- even though she was 29! So I hit some buttons and pronounced them husband and wife and :::BAM::: they were now saving over $200 a year!! We had a lot of laughs about how this marriage was a lot cheaper for them this time around and how her rates were high because she was out zooming through the streets in her convertible picking up guys and so on. Overall, by the time we credit them back to the time they actually got married (because it was our error, so I do believe we can do this) -- they're going to get like $400 back. This is just way-cool to me. It was really nice that they didn't even call me up for that particular reason and then at the end of it, they were just that much happier with me and my company. I like that -- I'm a love my job nerd, I admit it! Tomorrow. someone will be yelling at me because they had a "minor" accident (they rear-ended a Ferrari while they were drunk and totalled it) and now we're "punishing" them with higher rates and maybe I won't be so love-my-jobbish. But TODAY I get to marry people and give them a second anniversary to celebrate and that's just cool!

Anyways, I'm off to vege in front of my tv -- in my bedroom thank you -- because I'm going to soak up that jerry-rigged cable for all it's worth. Because like the Cable Guy says you can't get nothing for free for long!

love y'all more than my job even!
HP

No comments:


Popular Posts