Thursday, April 10, 2003

Men are weird. I'm not just saying this because it's TRUE, I'm saying it because... Well, they're weird. The boyfriend species of men in particular, I don't get. Seriously. I get this whole faux jealousy thing b/c I go have drinks with a co-worker after work that I don't even understand. I mean, let's get real. No matter how "wild" anyone thinks I am, I would never cheat on this man. I adore him. He knows this and uses it to tease me relentlessly ALL the time. I let it go. But to pretend jealousy? Over ME? I'm bitter and sarcastic and mean and evil (and let's not forget LUMPY!) most of the time, even if I am that way in a perky way. I don't really see people leaping over tall buildings to want to hang out with me. It's laughable. I mean, doesn't he know?

It's funny too because I was thinking about the relationship "ups and downs" on the way to work today. That tidal flow of happiness I get thinking about him most of the time and how that slows down somewhat during the "low tide" but never really goes away... I was thinking about how I appreciate the tidal waves that much more because of the low tides. How there are so many stupid little things that he says and does that I pocket away to remember and pull them out later and review them... and they just make me happy. He's not one for telling me every minute that he loves me, but I just know that. He will just look over at me sometimes with this goofy look and tell me whatever and I'm just sucked in all over again. If he knew how much I really loved him...

Well, whatever. He doesn't. He doesn't read this crap and lucky for us, huh? ;-)

Kinda poopy today, had customer yelling at me for like 45 minutes and I haven't had THAT since I was in collections and oddly, didn't miss it. Esp when I can't just essentially tell the guy to f-- off. And he was NOT a smart man! Oh well. Made up for it later when I had this absolute GEM of a woman shopping for cars with me (I'm the rate quoter -- well, what if I bought THIS car??) who totally appreciated my sense of humor, which is rare. Normally, I do my Heather Stand-up Comedian cum Insurance Customer Service Girl routine to totally deadpan audience. But she was rolling with the punches and I always like that. Especially since I'm doing bad things with the routine. But I CANNOT help it. I ask them if they have alarm systems and they tell me they have keyless entry and it has a PANIC button. I try to explain that unless they are WATCHING someone steal their car, there's no discount on their insurance. NO ONE ever thinks this is funny, although it amuses the crap out of me! This woman, gem that she is, totally laughed her butt off. I was able to go into my full routine without repercussion. I like it when they're willing to play. Customer services is a suck-ass job when you're a smart ass, I'm not going to lie. People ask what seems like the craziest things but fail to ask the SIMPLEST things and it's mind-boggling.

Although granted, it's only simple because *I* do it all day (that the things seem simple) and I acknowledge that all the time.

Final note: Had yet another epiphany today about how you don't know people until you KNOW them... Random guy at work driving what S would call "compensation" car (that I would actually agree with) -- little red Corvette. Too cliche'd even to comment, but always noticed that he stood outside and smoked out of the car before he left each night. I used to think that was ridiculous. You have this stupid car that is so frou frou to you that you won't even acknowledge your vice in it. How do you avoid the trigger?? But was riding in the elevator at the same time that he was tonight and he happened to mention it was his father-in-law's car who was a former smoker and so therefore, can't smoke in it. So, just goes to show again -- you just don't know people til you KNOW them. I think it's a beautiful aspect of humanity, that even the simplest things we judge people on are more complex than they seem on the surface... Isn't that great??

love y'all, mean it -- especially you dopey S!
HP

ps: Penultimate mood enhancer: ABBA! Why didn't I think of that when the darned rain started??

No comments:


Popular Posts