Thursday, November 27, 2003

Twas the night of Thanksgiving

We went out for dinner this year. I'd never done that before, even when I was single and orphaned in South Dakota I always managed to get a home-cooked meal for Thanksgiving. But, it just wasn't possible to get it worked out. The people who wanted to cook couldn't house the people who didn't and the people who could house 'em didn't want to cook. We were stuck.

I tried to make the most of it. Be happy that we were altogether at least and no one had to wear themselves out cooking and stressing.

But, it was just terrible. The food was buffet food and I've never been fond of that. I guess I hoped that because it was a "special day" that the food would somehow become special. Nope, still just meat sitting in pans being kept warm by a light. Mm mm, good! And it's not even as if we got to enjoy each other's company and chat because we're at this big huge round table and there's people all around and waiting for our table. We just ate til we got full and made sparing comments about the food. There was no nagging or threatening to drag the men from the football and do one darned thing to help get this dinner ready. There was no ceremonial belt un-buckling. There was no glowing over how well one person fixed this and how this other was my personal favorite. It was just dinner in a restaurant with 50 other strange, old people with thinning hair in wheelchairs.

Never again. That was completely miserable, there is no way I could ever endure it again. I can't believe that there are people who do that year after year and talk it up like it's a good thing. Big time depressing.

I didn't even eat til I was stuffed, what kind of waste is that? If I don't feel guilty and self-loathing after a holiday meal then I really feel cheated. Is it so wrong to want the gravy that's just a little lumpy and Scott's perfect potatoes and the moist homemade turkey that's got stuffing to go with it that's moist but not soupy.

Sigh. Yeah. Stay in and eat turkey people -- all the work IS worth it! You're stuffed on more than food after a meal like that -- you're stuck on LOVE! ;-)

kisses,
HP

No comments:


Popular Posts