Sunday, November 02, 2003

Richie Riches

I just watched the America Undercover special on HBO, Born Rich. It was very interesting... One thing that I am definitely guilty of is pigeon-holing rich people into this category of people who must be happy because they have money. The fact of the matter is that when you are brought up without riches then you have to figure out what you want to do to accomplish having money in your life. Finding that thing that brings you enough money to live satisfactorily makes most people "happy." But, what if you don't have to find "that thing"? Then what?

Some background about the show... The heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune wanted to do this documentary about what it was like to grow up rich because he was brought up to believe that you don't talk about money... So, no one ever does. I, myself, who have NO money have often said that money is the last sacred subject in our society. I have very little idea what any of my friends make annually, although they probably know fairly well what I make because I'm at the starting point of my career and it was a oft-discussed topic when I made the career change... The salary I would be receiving because it was a step down from my last job. I really don't know how my parents are doing financially nor any of my other relatives for that matter. I know they're not broke -- but I don't know HOW not broke they are, if that makes any sense. But, I digress. So, this heir wanted to make the movie and his father was very much against it, said that he would have a hard time agreeing to talk about money and how it affects their lives. But he did manage to get 10 "rich kids" (MASSIVE understatement) to talk about what it's like to know that you don't HAVE to work ever.

It was very interesting, actually. I did find myself repeatedly inwardly snorting, "Yeah like that's so rough." Things like how awkward it was for Josiah Hornblower to find out that he owned Grand Central Station. (He actually rides the subway everywhere versus taking limo's, which I thought was kind of quaint.) Or the director Jamie Johnson talking about how his grandfather didn't want the family working at Johnson & Johnson, so as a result he's not entitled to buy their products in the company store as an "employee" and get 50% off... He pays retail for band-aids that have his name on them. On the one hand you think, well it's not like he can't afford it! But on the other, that's a little odd, right?

They all go to party at the same place in the Hamptons and some of them were complaining about the fact that they keep going to this same club over and over again. The club's owner was explaining that there was a 2 bottle minimum per table, and the minimum cost per bottle was $250! American. It takes me a full working week to earn what they spend in one night out drinking. That definitely caused me to lose some sympathy. So, many stereotypes were repeatedly reinforced. Ivanka Trump has a "rich" voice. (I can't explain this without audio, but if you know me and you want to hear what that sounds like... Gimme a call and I'll do an impression. If not, think about someone who has friends named Buffy and uses the word summer as a verb and you've got an idea of the inflection that I'm referring to.) They don't date outside of their rich kids circle, because their lifestyle would be too hard to explain -- not to mention the infernal problem of the Pre-nup, the importance of which they are VERY in tune with since it's been drilled into their heads from a very young age.

Some of the more interesting comments came from the directors asking point blank questions. Like, what would you do if you actually had your hands on all the money you're supposed to inherit? Juliet Hartford (who was heiress to some fortune I don't even remember) said, "I'd give it all to the homeless!" And then laughed hysterically as if this were a ridiculous concept. (It was a "rich" laugh too -- ha! ha! ha! Good one chap!) Luke Weil (more on him in a minute, he's the heir some gaming industry thing), when asked about the guilt associated with having all of that money, said that guilt was for "old women and nuns." O-kay.

He actually tried to legally prevent Jamie Johnson from releasing the film with him in it. He claimed that his signature was asked for "sheepishly and submissively" or something and he didn't really know that he was agreeing. In other words, hey sign this -- it doesn't really mean anything, I just need it for the people. Jamie's lawyer said tha the "irony of making a movie about wealthy people is that their very wealth allows them to have the money to sue you if they are unhappy with what you say." I thought that was one of the best parts! It's funny because it's true!


All of the reviews I have read keep focusing on how the movie wraps with Jamie's big 21st birthday celebration, which is basically done in the style of a 1920's flapper era kind of theme. There's champagne everywhere and the rich kids are laughing and having a grand time foo-fooing one another... But I hardly noticed it because while you see all of this pomp and decadence, Jamie's making his summarizing comments in the voiceover. And the most profound remark was "what you inherit may not be as valuable as what you earn." And I thought, wow. It's true that it's a "poor little rich boy" Charles Dickens kind of life lesson, but it's absolutely true.

I still don't feel sorry for people that were born into billionaire inheritances, but if they wanted to pay me to have pity I might be willing to work that out....


No comments:


Popular Posts