Friday, June 13, 2003

TAKE ME TO THE OTHER SIDE -- NOT!

I can only post but SO many homages to my boyfriend without losing the rest of my audience, of this I am fully aware. But it's interesting to me how relaxed I am with him and how little I miss "the other side." In past relationships and dalliances, whenever I hear tales from friends who are out "running the streets" I used to get (more than) a little jealous. Look at all the fun SHE'S having, I would think. But now, I know what it's like "out there" and I know that I have it pretty darned good "in here" and I don't get jealous at all. Well, okay -- except for the writing material, but I'm willing to drum up stuff from other sources to make do! I know that if I were out there again, all I would be doing is comparing any potential man to him -- his sense of humor, his gentleness, his warmth, his teasing, and ALL the stuff that comprises the warm & fuzzy part of the relationship -- it would take a lot for anyone to be able to compete. Particularly since time and time again, S will step up to the plate and take on things that I dish out when any other man would have bailed. (This is, in fact, a two way street -- I've spent my time at the plate, believe me.) And it's not like I try to build him into this perfect man, he's NOT -- but he's absolutely perfect for me and therein lies the most important distinction.

All of this "mushiness" comes about because a dear friend of mine is going through what can only be called a whore phase (sorry darling if you're reading -- but you've said this yourself!) and is sharing her stories with a selected audience. Which is cool -- much like my own former Panel discussion groups -- but definitely gives me full insight into the extreme version of the other side. Particularly because in her current location there is a substantial misproportion of men to women -- worse than Norfolk even! And it definitely sounds like she is having the time of her life but I would not trade places with her if my life depended on it. Being in a relationship is work sometimes, yes -- but that's nothing compared to the work that goes into single life. I remember the wistful looks I got from some married folks when I was in my crazy single days, but now I know that part of that is just remembering that there was that time in your life and being SO glad that it's behind you. That you have the person that you can say "I'm feeling evil today, let's just catch up another time" and it doesn't mean the world stops spinning. That there's someone you can rely on when you have little things go wrong and know that they will be there to help fix it. And someone who is the first person you're going to tell when something really cool happens -- like you passed the test you'd been studying all week for despite your debilitating head cold. And so on.

So, that's all. I'm happy. My "stories" suffer from that sometimes, but not always. I still manage to drum up some pretty good material from time to time -- keeps some of you coming back for more and for that I'm grateful.

Off to start my day and in search of more interesting anecdotes...
HP

No comments:


Popular Posts