Thursday, June 19, 2003

SWEET BABY JAMES!

My friend Scout (whom I can list by her full name because it's just her nickname!) has just elevated herself to the top of the friend list. Sorry, ladies -- but can YOU get me VIP James Taylor concert tickets?? Didn't think so! But she won them through her work and we went last night and it was friggin' AWESOME! I mean, it's James Taylor for Christ's sake, how is that going to suck??

She invited me Monday night and I was thrilled because I was definitely at a bit of blue point in my life then. I wasn't her first choice (surprise, a BOY was her first choice) but who cared? I was the one going. Bragged to everyone I could think of that I was going. It was hard, but trust me -- I found ways to work it into conversation. Like, "Yeah, this rain has been just a major drag, huh? And speaking of rain, you know I've seen fire AND I've seen rain and IIIIII am going to see James Taylor sing that on Wednesday night!" One girl from work was like James Taylor? He's OLD, I sold tickets to his concerts back in '92 when I was at Ticketmaster. So, after I was done bitch-slapping her for being an idiot I explained that it's Sweet Baby James... The Rolling Stones are riddled with arthritis and using walkers to get on stage but you'd go see them if you could, wouldn't you? It's about the LEGEND, for the love of God! When she got up off the floor, she agreed.

Anyways, as expected the concert was amazing. James was just so humble and loving -- reaching out to the people in the front row and shaking their hands and signing their posters and stuff. Accepting gifts and so forth. Sang some new songs that I didn't know, but of course -- all the ones that you know and love too. Wow. Yeah, he's old and he's bald and he dresses like someone's dad but I don't care -- he's just got sexy going on. Maybe it's his total willingness to share the spotlight -- giving all the band members and the back-up singers their props. And the trumpet player was THE bomb -- he was playing trumpet with one hand and playing the keyboard with the other. Wow. And he did TWO encores, I didn't get THAT kind of respect when I went to see Dave Matthews the last time. And those tickets cost the same just for me to sit on the LAWN. Wrapped it up with Sweet Baby James, of course. I got a little swept away. Well, actually there was some weeping prior to that, but that was just poor pupil reaction to the light show at the end. I was a sopping mess because of that, but the only reason that really sucked is because I didn't want to tear my eyes away from him but if I wanted to stop the flow then it was pretty much a necessity.

But thanks to James Taylor, my offline problems this week are pretty much a thing of the past. That's sort of a long story, and there ARE some things that even I do not blog about. Let's just say that there was a late night phone call and I got swept off my feet the likes of which I had not felt in longer than I want to say...

So, my biscuits are buttered as it were, my Scout gets 2 merit badges for being an Awesome Friend and you, my loyal readers, have me back in blogging shape again. Is it just me or did it feel like the Universe just shifted back into place?? ;-)

XOXO,
HP

No comments:


Popular Posts