Monday, June 23, 2003

DUI

I just talked to someone who was so drunk that she wasn't even sure where SHE was, much less who I was. It was very disconcerting, it's rare -- anymore -- that I am in this position when I am not drunk too. And my days of DUI (dialing under the influence) have long past. I have some fond memories of the times that I did do it, but can't imagine now. It was scary being on the receiving end of that. She must have asked me a dozen times why I was home alone, why wasn't that guy coming in? I asked her if she meant S and she said no, that OTHER guy you were just talking to? Um. I wasn't talking to anyone but her. On the phone. I was outside for a moment and a guy drove up to the neighbor's but I didn't even say anything about that.

I just want to apologize to anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of that. The DUI from me, that is. I remember all too well the allure of the phone when you've had a few too many. It just seems to have a life-force all of its own. Begging you to dial numbers that you had long since purged, but not from your cell phone memory -- unfortunately. I used to regularly assist this particular friend with her own truly bizarre brand of DUI -- she would call me on my cell phone... From her cell phone. While we were sitting next to each other at the bar. It was funny in a really sad, pathetic kind of way. We had a lot of laughs in our drunk, bar-crawling days, but then it became pretty obvious that was her primary point of interest, whereas I decided that I needed to concentrate on keeping my liver in tact, and trying to preserve what little memory I had left. This must have worked to some extent, since I can still remember some of the stories! ;-)

Have been greatly disturbed mid-blog by sad news from Godmother, so am going to take off.

HP

No comments:


Popular Posts