Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I NEED A HERO!

Ok, I don't need a hero -- but I just watched the AFI special on the top 25 Heros & Villains from its top 100 list on CBS tonight. (You KNOW tv times are tough when Heather's resorting to CBS for pity's sake) I was hoping to link to the list from their website, but they haven't posted it yet... They'll probably post it tomorrow, now that the show has aired. Their address is AFI.com
if you want to check it out... I was impressed by how many of the movies I HAVE seen, but a little bummed by the ones that I HAVEN'T seen -- but worse yet, the ones I just do not remember. Like Casablanca, Rick Blaine (Bogie!) was the hero there. Just to blow their secret, Hannibal Lecter was the number one bad guy (ummm, I think? Or was he number 2? I've ALREADY screwed this up!) -- but Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird was the number one hero. Which I could definitely resonate with -- I still get chills when I think of that movie. Who wouldn't want Atticus for a dad? Although, I daresay ole Boo Radley deserved a heroic nod for that one as well...

But I can't believe that I have never seen 2001: Space Odyssey or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -- I mean these are defining movies, period! And I've also never seen Lawrence of Arabia, but that's different -- how often do I have 4 hours that I am not doing anything with where I think, well I would sure like to watch people trotting around fighting in the desert?! I think this is how I missed so many of the classics, when I am wandering around aimlessly in the Hollywood Video wondering what to rent... As much as I want to see them, I can't get myself "in the mood" during that time frame. I have often thought that instead of having a book club that I would have a "Oh my GOD, I can't believe you never saw " club. Largely inspired by the EXTREME long time it took me to finally see Pulp Fiction . One of my friends swore up and down that the ONLY reason I "refused" to watch it was because that is what made me stand out -- I was the girl who hadn't seen Pulp Fiction. I am not really comfortable with this description of myself, but it's probably true. ;-) Once I saw it I could no longer stare blankly when someone told the watch story or asked me if I knew what they called a Big Mac in France. I was just another one of the people who had seen it and been sucked in.

And now, wildly skewing tangents -- speaking of being sucked in, finally finished that Girl Anatomy (by Rebecca Bloom) book that I referenced in 5/29 blog. Book was disturbing, but not in some good psychological way. Because it was poorly written re-hash of a vast amount of things that have happened to me in my own life. Some of the things this girl thought were some of the very things that have run through my own head. It was scary. The writing felt so real and yet so fake and forced at the same time. Whole lot of $15 words thrown in to show her education but ultimately with boy-crazy flakey girl -- who winds up getting back together with a guy who broke her heart because he realized the error of his ways in losing her. Hel-LO? Ok, not so much an error thing but you get the idea...

No comments:


Popular Posts