Saturday, August 30, 2003

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blue Man GROUPIE!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


Got to go see the Blue Man Group tonight -- that was a LOT of fun! Yay Godmothers with free tickets to stuff!!

The two opening acts, Tracy Bonham and Venus Hum, I had never heard of. I was a little disturbed when Tracy Bonham looked out into the audience and said, "I think you all look like SPOON people!" I wondered, where did I go wrong? How did I wind up somewhere on a Friday night where there were spoons being played??

Turns out, must be a spoon person though because she was pretty cool.

Venus Hum was more than a little eclectic and clearly was the lure of the many many Goth's in the audience. The group was very techno/rave-like but I kinda liked it. I just wish I was in a club when I was listening to it.

But Blue Man Group was very neat... The concert was basically all about lightly mocking rock concerts in general. Because the Men don't speak, there was the very serious Announcer who was giving you the break down for all of the Rock Concert Moment. Such as the head bob, the fist in the air, the invite guest vocalist to perform, the take time to visit with the people in the cheap seats, the jump up and down... Then it was soul-searching Freudian trip wherein you question your life and compare your cubicle filled hell with the mazes of your inner childhood. Or something equally as bizarre. But, the light show portion and the "laser people" (as Godma called 'em) dancing and just the expressions on the Men's faces were just cool. They brought a few people from the audience onto the stage and I (surprise!) desperately wanted to be one of them, but no go. There was this one really nifty thing where it was Rock Concert Moment #15 -- take time to take a close look at the audience. And they do the stereotypical camera-span of all the audience screaming and yelling and then they get all up in in one guy's face and point the camera down his throat... Then they somehow cut the film so fast that it looked like you could look alllll the way down his throat and into his esophagus and his lungs... Gross, but cool!

The only annoying part was the people who left before the show was over. It has no real effect on me but it just irritates the crap out of me when people do that. Why is this necessary?? You just paid at least $60 for the two of you, plus a RIDICULOUS amount per adult beverage and NOW you can't even stay til the end because you don't want to sit in traffic?? Seriously. Sit in the traffic. Is it that bad? I mean, yeah -- it definitely sucks to be sitting in the traffic waiting to leave but the bottom line is -- that's part of the damned experience. It's just that simple. If you don't sit in the traffic, what do you have to complain about?? I went to this great concert last night and then I got home in time to catch the evening news. Well, aren't you special?

That's all.

Off to go rest for my alleged jet-setting!

HP

ps: Anyone living in VA Beach area should know that El Sol de Mexico has KICK-ASS Mexican food. The 'ritas were only so-so, but for once the food made up for it instead of the other way around!

No comments:


Popular Posts