Thursday, August 14, 2003

The worm crawls in, the worm crawls out...

Remember this little ditty from elementary school? If you don't, call me and I'll be happy to sing it to you. If you don't have my number, well there's probably a good reason for that, isn't there??

So, I think I've been infected by this now famous MS Blaster Worm . What a NIGHTMARE the last day or so has been. Svchost.exe error this and svchost.exe error that. I have been whining CONTINUOUSLY to Daddy about the problem and he just brushes me aside and grumbles that he'll get to it this weekend. Meanwhile, I am having to reboot my computer every friggin' 5 minutes because EV-ER-Y-THING stops working. Can't cut, can't paste. Fuh-get about linking, sister. It sucks. And I don't know squat about computers other than how to turn them on, although I make a DARNED good show of navigating through stuff like I know what I'm doing. (Fooled my parents on a NUMBER of occasions because they are even dumber than I when it comes to this stuff.)

Except, maybe they aren't so dumb. Have conversation with my actual daddy yesterday afternoon where he is drunkenly insisting that I need to go to microsoft.com and check out this worm information and make sure I don't have it, etc. It's like 4:30 in the afternoon and he's intoxicated so I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt (which, he did too only his was accompanied by a tequila shooter, but whatever)... Well, after I get home from my OWN drinking exploits, I continue to have the problem which has been plaguing me for days and I finally get desperate and type a Google search for an explanation of its source.

Turns out to be the damned worm.

I didn't have the patience to start my computer anymore last night after the fifth time rebooting, so I figured I would just deal with it this morning. Well, it must have been torturing me all night because I woke up at the crack of dawn with the worm on the brain and couldn't go back to sleep. My jaw was so tight that I must have been grinding my teeth again and I haven't done THAT since I worked at Household!!

Long story short (too late), I think I have solved the problem. Somewhere in the mix I seem to have deleted My Yahoo! from My System! but not sure how and I'm willing to live with that. At least I am moving freely about the internet again. These people are the ones who saved my life, by the way. So, if you need to clear the worm from your own computer, use this site for sure. I don't know if it is a permanent fix, but it's working so far for me.

Now, off to register for my online class which is supposed to start in a WEEK and I haven't even signed up yet. In part because I have been waiting for response from TCC about my application. Turns out, they don't send out "re-acceptance letters." I advised them that I had never attended classes there, but apparently they count the time that I took a typing class in 1988 as a prior admittance. Seriously.

Wish me luck!
HP

No comments:


Popular Posts