Monday, September 15, 2003

No, no, no -- and did I mention not very likely?

This is the phrase that came out of my mouth a lot today. Mainly because there's a hurricane fixin' to hit this here East coast and seems like all of a sudden folks started getting a clue on just how important renters insurance is. Duh. That's all well and good but we've got to protect the folks who've already realized how important renters insurance is, so we're sure not gonna be able to take care of you.

Mostly that went surprisingly well. After sitting on hold for God knows how long and then being told that what they were waiting for was NOT going to happen, most people took it fairly well. That is un-til I got to talk to Mr. 23 year old Genius who was just insisted that he deserved a renters policy and that he had been trying to get one for two week but every single time (every SINGLE time, ladies and gentlemen) he called he got transferred around, put on hold for two hours and then the call was disconnected. AND YET, ladies and gentlemen, somehow not only was his wife able to get through this morning only to be told that coverage was suspended -- he himself was able to get through AGAIN tonight in order to berate me with his dissatisfaction with my company. Amazing, isn't it? Hasn't been able to get a single call in over the last two weeks without getting disconnected and today his family as a unit got through twice. I told him flat out I found it hard to believe. He then went through the entire list of all of his current personal problems -- his car loan people keep losing all of his money orders (oh my GOD if I had even one cent for every time I heard this when I was in collections, I would be a million-friggin-aire) and so he can't get a new car even though his car's too small for his two kids. He's in the process of moving ALL of his stuff (which we won't even cover) and he's already made 4 trips and he's still got two more just tonight. He's got knee problems and his wife has some kind of cystic something in her stomach and the doctor's don't even KNOW what that is. Wow. Sure not sure what this has to do with his lack of renters coverage but I decided not to bring it up and used the time to roll my eyes all the way into the back of my head.

It's not that I don't care, it's just that I really don't care.

I tried to reason with him finally. I asked him -- what if it were YOUR money. What if you received all kinds of calls just before a major natural disaster was supposed to occur asking you to potentially give up a lot of your money IF the major natural disaster occurred, which was a very strong probability?? He still didn't buy it and I gave up. Told him as soon as we were allowed to issue coverage again that I would call him and take care of it myself.

With any luck, he'll have been blown away.

Kidding, I'm kidding.

This hurricane hype kills me every time and I know one day I'm going to be victimized by my own unpreparedness and it serves me right. I don't have tons of water in my house but that's okay -- Scout does. And I don't have tons of food in my house, but that's okay -- Daddy does. And I don't have tons of beer in my house but that's okay -- Mr. Kahlua does. So, as long as I can swim outta here if the fit hits the shan, then it's all good!

That's the blog and I'm outta here! Duck & cover!
-HP

No comments:


Popular Posts