Thursday, September 25, 2003

Maybe I AM a little bit country?

So this week in my Psychology class (did you forget that I was trying to get educated? That's okay -- most of the time I do too. But man that book makes a good coaster!), my homework assignment was to "have fun" but write the professor to tell him what you did. Apparently the chapter I'm supposed to be reading is about how humor is important in our lives.

This really wasn't the week for that.

Parents were over, work is just kinda strange right now in a boring way, and Daddy and I were fighting.

Needless to say, the Daddy fighting makes life a LOT less humorous. And it was about the dumbest thing and I'm not going to get into it because no one was right and no one was wrong.

But in the middle of all these small crises and trying to find some humor, I remembered a quote that I had always loved from Marie Osmond. Yes, Marie Osmond. She once said, "If you're going to be able to look back on something and laugh, you may as well laugh now."

And you know what, it's true. And if you want to really give it a broad scope, if you're going to look back and not even REMEMBER that this was a problem -- you might as well laugh at that too. Because if it's not going to matter much in a few weeks and you're not even going to care about it in a few years, why worry about it now??

I admit that part of this comes from my "tough girl act." (I know you're shocked to hear it's an act, get over it.) I act like I don't care and things don't bother me and things are simple and I know deep down that's not the case. But the fact is that deeper down -- I DO know it's true. It's just about getting through the layers. I'm a torte cake, damnit -- not an onion! Only ogres are onions! So, during the part where I think the little bad things are SO awful and are just going to rip me up, I just fake it. Fake it til you make it! If you tell yourself that you're okay often enough and that you're going to get through this minor setback or even THAT major setback, sooner or later you're going to believe it because you're going to see yourself getting through it!

My God I should be preaching this shit from a mountaintop, shouldn't I??

Problem is that we can't find a mountain big enough for my ENORMOUS ego!! ;-)

Off to bed for me -- so much for my promise to be tucked in before 11.

No comments:


Popular Posts