Saturday, January 03, 2004

That Man doesn't go with those Pants!

I was actually going to post a few thoughts on New Year's Day, but alas Blogger had other things in mind. Namely, not allowing me to post anything. Just as well, it was a bit of a whine anyways...

Went shopping because I had a store credit from Christmas return and had planned to buy myself a couple of sweaters to revamp my sweater collection. (That's right -- just like every other year's semi-annual closet review "I hate my clothes" and "I have nothing to wear" remain the consistent verdicts.) Unfortunately, sweaters all now seem to have this cable knit thing going on, that's just a little too reminiscent of the 80's preppiness. Then, I was going to buy a pair of loafers to replace my torn favorite clunking shoes -- and all the stores have are even clunkier, even uglier shoes. I'm not opposed to ugly shoes, but this is getting a little out of hand. Who decided that bowling shoes were a good idea in the fashion world? I thought about buying a pair of men's black loafers, but I got a bit of teasing when I brought THAT up.

An interesting way to segue... Because I had to bring it up later on. It's not like the man was there shopping with me. And as much of a proponent as I am about togetherness, this is one thing that I do not get. Why do women bring men shopping with them who clearly do not want to be there?? You see these men, following their women, in the department stores with this hang-dog expression on their faces. And they look so pitiful and bored, just like little kids in the fabric store. (Credit: Tony) Why are they there? What is the nature of this relationship that the men would agree to go and the women would want them to go when they so clearly don't want to be there?? I do not get this. I know that there are men who, for whatever reason, do actually go shopping with their women and even help them pick things out. This even happens within my own circle. I think that's great but this is not what I'm talking about. Those men are the exception, NOT the rule. Most men would rather eat glass then go shopping with women, even if serious sexual favors are offered AND there's nothing to watch on tv.

Do these women need someone else's opinion so badly that they're willing to torture someone to get it? Is it that hard to figure out other ways to not have to lug your own coat around? Have the men done something so wrong that they feel they deserve this punishment? Are the women that unbearable if they don't get their way?

Because you know these people are fighting like cats and dogs on the way home. "Why don't you ever tell me when something looks bad?" "Why would I do that -- so you can yell at me about how I don't like the way you look anymore?"

Women, unless your man is a closet homosexual, then please go shopping without him. If I see you out and about, I promise I will tell you if something looks good or not. (I do this all the time -- surprise!) Leave the man at home.

Unless your mall has implemented this thing I just read about in the Parade... It's basically Man Daycare. You leave the little man in this "play" area, where for like $12 he gets 2 beers and a meal, along with home improvement tips, football matches, that kind of thing. Maybe some Hooters style waitresses for good measure, I don't know. If they have that, then take him but drop him off.

It's the only humane thing to do!

No comments:


Popular Posts