Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Inside the Blogger's Studios

I don't have a studio.

But, you're already in my head. What else do I have to offer? Just my ever-lasting soul.

I used to be funny on paper, this used to be funny. I know I'm still funny because people still laugh at things that I say and most of the time it's not at me. (Even I can tell the difference, I've been on both sides of that often enough.)

I think if I analyze what I'm going to say too much, it's more forced and not funny. But on the other hand, when it's more stream of conscious it's not funny either.

Because believe it or not, I do not think funny things. Not that my thoughts are serious and stern -- just rambling walks through my life.

I say this because over lunch today I made a comment about getting bored fairly easily when I'm by myself and my work friend Ed said that he had a hard time believing that. (He is someone who is generally fairly amused by me.) And therein lies the rub. I don't honestly think I'm being overly vain when I say that for the most part people generally seem to enjoy being around me and think I'm "fun". And funny, especially. But the fact of the matter is that I can't sit around telling clever stories to myself about myself (although, there again, I'm sure lots of people think I do that too) -- I won't think they're that funny, I already know them. I was there. Also, a lot of the reason that people seem to enjoy hanging out with me (and this is purely conjecture on my part) is because I'm a little blunt and will just say whatever I'm thinking without much filter. So, there again -- I'm the one thinking these things, they're not new and innovative to me. Hence, I get bored on my own.

On another tangent, I realized why I will never be able to be a stand-up comic. Because even though I am capable of being funny, I'm situationally funny. When the thing happens, I'm usually able to find the right punchline. (Sidenote: do you have ANY idea how hard it is to refrain from outbursts in my classes where I have constant captive audience and on-going situations begging for punchlines?? It's HARD -- I could give up chocolate AND pizza and it would be easier. Seriously.) But, I haven't had many funny things happen to me. Things happen and I make them seem funny at the time but really don't get much of a story out of them. I realized this while sitting in Philosophy class tonight because my teacher is a riot. (His name is Jeffrey White -- hi Mr. White in case you ever Google yourself) He just spins a marvelous tale and just has me laughing the whole time. He really could be a stand-up, I bet he's tried it. If he hasn't, he should. He even has that same kind of delivery that some stand-ups do where the funniest part of the story is thrown out almost as an aside. Frankly, I'm jealous.

And I actually had a whole thing I was thinking about writing about the people in the class who just don't seem to understand that they're rambling, but then I thought... Insurance on glass houses is probably REALLY expensive...

HP

No comments:


Popular Posts