Sunday, December 07, 2003

Life under that rock must be rough...

I figure you'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard me shouting from the rooftops that my Daddy decided to make an honest girl out of me! :-)

I'm fairly certain that everyone knows the story, so I won't go into that aspect of it here. Just that we're engaged and I'm EXTREMELY happy about it. Overwhelmed, actually. I think that I've got it all in stride and that I'm calm and cool and then I get to thinking about it (distracted as I am by the enormous diamond ring on my finger, hee hee) and I just feel almost weak in the knees again. I was about faint with excitement the night he asked me (Friday) and I feel the same way. I hope to carry that feeling with me always. The opportunity, the gift of being able to spend life with the man I love is incredible indeed.

I know, I know. I make myself sick with the mushiness, but you know what? Take a pill people and get over it -- the ooey gooey is here for the long haul!

Or until I've been completely inundated with plans and whirliness and whatnot. The only thing that has to be worse is when you announce you're pregnant... As far as the stories and the theories and the comparisons, ad nauseum. And it's so easy to get sucked into that snowball that hours after he asked I'm thinking about the guest list and how am I going to do my hair and will he wear a tux and all of that crap that gets tied into The Wedding. It only gets further magnified because people want to know when and where and how and they love giving you ideas. And I love hearing them but it just gets to be out of CONTROL. It's crazy. One minute you're starstruck with the idea of getting to hold hands with your partner, your best friend for the rest of your life (oops, there I go again) and the next you're thinking about place settings and venues and bridesmaids and all of this focus on just this one day.

The fact is that I want The Wedding, I do. (Pun intended.) It's important to me because the idea of "our community" (stealing ideas from Dave the Blogger's wife Jennifer) celebrating this big step in our lives is very important to me. It always has been. That's why I throw parties -- I like to celebrate events in my life with my loved ones. And this is a very big deal for me. I really love Scott more than just anything and can't wait to start our life together and really want to have my friends and family there to celebrate that joy with us.

But.

I don't want to be snowballed. I don't want The Day and The Event to over-shadow the very important reason for those things. The fact that we have decided to get married doesn't mean that we have decided to have a big huge party one day. It means that we've decided that we can tolerate each other enough to smell each other's bad breath every morning and put up with our weird night habits every night until death do us part. And I want to be cognizant of that and just celebrate that for now. That doesn't mean that I don't want to talk about all of the nuances of The Day, but I don't want to get overwhelmed with them right now. There's time for that. Plenty of time.

Right now, I'm going to stay in my shiny, happy bubble and just think about what an excellent decision my fiance has made. Isn't this just proof of how SMART he is?!

By the way, for those of you who fear coming around us because the sappiness and good cheer may be too hard for your delicate stomachs -- never fear! We're still our usual snappy selves, just with a little more sweetness to the edge than usual. Suddenly, I'm both not as easily annoyed and not as easily annoying!

So, I'm off to throw the rest of the Christmas decorations up, maybe. So close to being done and yet so far.

More tales from the Engagement Zone to come. Normal activity will resume, eventually.

kisses all,
HP

No comments:


Popular Posts