Friday, August 20, 2004

Re: My Missing the Point of Children...

I was going to add this to the comments, but then figured might as well just post.

"You obviously miss the total point of children." I don't even understand this. How can anyone who is alive miss the point of children? I was a child once, we all were. I think this writer must be missing my point. I'm not talking about "the point of children" -- that's ridiculous. That doesn't even make sense.

Next. "Not everyone who has children actually PLANS to have children. Not everyone who PLANS to have children gets a child. Children are gifts of God. Their survival is a gift of God." I'm thinking this comes from something personal that has happened to this writer or someone the writer knows. However, with all due sensitivity I think things have been blown out of proportion just a tad. Perhaps the writer doesn't understand that I am not, in fact, an idiot. I am aware that not everyone who has kids plans them and that there are people who plan to have kids who don't. I don't live in a cave. I live on Earth, the planet. Let me now clarify that I am not trying to undermine the struggles of parents who have unplanned children nor am I trying to undermine the struggles of people who want to have children and can't. Let's try to take this down to a less serious level. It's inside MY head -- I'm talking about me. I'm talking about pressures I feel from parents (planned or otherwise) and people who WANT to be parents (able to or not) to procreate myself. Who said anything about God??

And now "Your life changes because YOU choose to change." I know this is in regard to having children, but anyone who can say this to ME has clearly never met me and has no idea the changes I've been through. This comment is officially marked from the record. I mean, this is one of my mantras. Duh.


Then there was: "If you do not feel the need to have a child...save us all a lot of trouble and DONT. No one is trying to change your mind." Um, wasn't this whole point of my post? That people are in fact trying to change my mind and that I'm trying to save you all a lot of trouble?? I fail to see how my having kids is going to trouble THIS writer, however. Will s/he be coming over to babysit when I can't be bothered to take care of the little ones? Are they first in line of list of beneficiaries in my as-yet-unwritten will?? This is very odd. I fail to see how anyone BUT me will be troubled but I guess I'm just naive. But again, the point is that I'm trying to spare you. You the beleaguered public. But, yes ma'am/sir -- people are trying to change my mind. Thank God you stepped in and showed me the error of their ways!!

And lastly, "By the way....My child loves sushi." Um, kay. Still probably won't be inviting your child out for sushi. I have a feeling you're okay with that.

So, that's all... Enjoy your evening.

1 comment:

Cattiva said...

I still don't "get the point of children" and I have two. :)


Popular Posts