Thursday, August 26, 2004

Because I'm too lazy to post a "real" blog as it turns out, then I'm going to insert this thing that we came across at work the other day.

A little background... At the company where I work (name not listed for purposes of keeping my job and stuff) we have "profiles." Our pictures, job titles and who we work for are posted. You have the option to post a little "biography" about yourself, which most people don't. If they do, it's usually "started with The Company in 1998, have this degree and work on this committee."

But then there was THIS guy who took it a step further... So, for your amusement and perusement -- with names and other possibly identifying information I give you...

"Summary:
I would like to take a minute to introduce myself. The name is Name. Bob Name, and I am an actuarial analyst.

Biography:
I have been at The Company for three years now. My job is to set the prices we charge for various insurances. To the uninitiated this may sound very plebeian, but I assure you there is much more to it. The drama, the interactions, the relationships, cohorts, and models that I deal with on a daily basis - astounding and titillating. Almost like a secret world which people at large simply do not know or understand. They cannot understand. No one takes the time and pays the price to understand. So it is up to us. The few who do. Perhaps someday you will join us. Become one of us. Let me tell you of my journey.

My initiation, er, entry into the actuarial science began in Okinawa, Japan. My father was a career Marine and stationed there at the time when my mother picked up the 1992 Job Almanac. She sensed the maximum likelihood for success lay in actuarial science, for a math minded High School aged son like myself. For the moment that method I discarded in favor of following the glorious footsteps of my grandfather and becoming an Engineer, but the actuarial seed had been planted and in time bore its alluring fruit.

I graduated from University in the millennium year with a BS is Statistics, and yes, an actuarial emphasis. I immediately recognized the best employer around and hired on at The Company in the P&C company's actuary department.

I was young, though, and had no credible idea of the power of the Science, or the barriers to overcome to be a true practitioner- A Fellow. Especially the Examination rites. I became acquainted though. Soon the sweat, fright, and dread concomitant with a study of the arts accosted me. Despite the obstructions, with unstable zeal I pressed on, studying delving; searching the arcane arithmetic, training in the actuarial mysteries, and grasping at the minutia of indemnity. My first attempts at the Examinations, ah - so fledging, wholly rejected. But a reticent Company colleague guided me. Finally I succeeded. One test, and then another. My life half indentured, but in return, one test at a time, I am closer to joining the Fellowship.

Years of submitting to Examinations has toughened me now, though the Society still exacts its 'respects' from me. The Company has been a kind patron through the process. In return I have used my newfound skills to benefit the business: analyzing loss experience, forecasting trends, and managing rate adequacy with increasing deftness.

The challenge of shouldering work and Society 'commitments' has not been for the feeble hearted. Such resolution, while advancing my actuarial acumen has concomitantly inured to the benefit of my work. From my start as an apprentice, pricing basic auto states, to receiving responsibility for Florida, to becoming subject matter expert for territory boundary changes, to taking on management of the entire Fire and Allied Lines of business. Soon I will subjugate the last Examination and finally be admitted to the Society of Casualty Actuaries.

And that is where I am today."

Thanks Name, Bob Name for allowing me to take a night off from posting!


No comments:


Popular Posts