Friday, August 27, 2004

I'm really starting to think it's the little things, not the big ones, that can eat at your marriage. It's been a long time since I've lived with a man and there are so many things that I just don't understand. Things like WHY can't he put the toilet seat down? Or put the lid back on the Q-tip dispenser? Or stop snoring!

Okay, I'm stuck with the snoring but I was thinking about that a lot this morning... I think it's probably obvious why. I feel sorry for the snorers, as much as I feel completely isolated from them by their noise. I'm sure I'm probably one of them (this is when Katrina will likely pipe in) but see, that's the deal with being a snorer -- it's not like you know you're doing it. You can't help that you are doing it, it just doesn't feel that way to the person sharing the bed with you who hasn't been to sleep for a full night in weeks and who firmly believes that you are deliberately making all that noise just to deprive them of sleep. Thankfully, since we are now at my house the snoring doesn't bother me as much because I'm at a much greater comfort level.

But, there is ONE time that it does continue to plague me and that's in the morning. Before we go to bed at night, Scott often likes to watch tv. I'm a princess and the noise makes me crazy when I'm trying to fall asleep but I try to stand it as long as I can. For his sake. Sometimes he's half asleep when it's on and will actually get irritated when I try to turn it off. I could believe you were paying attention if you weren't snoring, dear. The other reason I try to accomodate this is because I like the radio on in the morning while I'm getting ready for work and he's still sleeping. And this is when the snoring has become an issue, because sometimes I have to turn the radio up fairly loud (for a morning volume) in order to hear it over his snoring and he'll half wake up and give me a "can I get some earplugs?" or "turn that down" growl. That's when I'm like -- are you freaking kidding me?? It's only this loud to hear it over YOU!

However, he doesn't KNOW that. It's hard for me to realize that he has no idea how he sounds when he's snoring since everyone in his condo complex must have known. I tried to tape it for him once and play it back.

His response -- "I just sound so happy."

3 comments:

Cattiva said...

An yes, the snoring. My Hubby didn't start it until he gained weight - he's working on that. At first our way around it was for me to fall asleep first, then it didn't bother me as much. If I didn't I popped a Tylenol PM. Probably not that healthy, but it worked. Now that I can't fall asleep (an issue I am working on), I'm the one with the TV on (really low) and he's able to ignore it.

I also use the "gentle" shaking method to get him to roll over and knock it off. Gentle is a relative term - relative to the noise level. I have been known to almost shove him off the bed. He's a heavy sleeper, though so it's all good. The poor man hasn't slept on his back in years, though. And I can't tell you that there haven't been nights I have caught myself wanting to put a pillow over his head in a snoring induced homicidal rage. The good news is that you eventually get used to it (not the rage, the snoring). And there's a certain satisfaction that comes when the snorer snores so loud he wakes himself up.

Heather said...

I've tried the "gentle" shaking as well, but I usually get grumped at more than the cessation of the snoring is worth. And yes, the pillow thought has come to me... Particularly at his old house where I could hear him even when I tried to go out and sleep on the uncomfortable couch. Luckily, I love him (and freedom) too much to ever contemplate murder.

Cattiva said...

You're a newlywed. Give it some time. Murder might look better after a few sleepless years. Was that out loud? ;)


Popular Posts