Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Earworm

I learned this word on my new favorite show, Best Week Ever on VH-1.
This show is a HOOT -- and I'm not just using that word because I need to get out more. It's kind of like The Daily Show, only more goofy and less acerbic.

Anyways, an earworm is a word to describe when you get a song stuck in your head that you can't get out. They listed some contemporary earworms, and of course topping the list right now is Hey Ya by the Outkast. If you have somehow managed to escape hearing this song, a) you need to get out more and b) how much longer do you have go on your sentence? Seriously. This song DEFINES ubiquitous. (Because something's gotta -- it's just a big word!)

They also referenced Jenny from the Block and said that it gives you an earworm so bad that you need to get an icepick to get it out. If you played that song 3 times for the Pope, he would denounce Catholicism.

That's funny stuff.

Back to Hey Ya -- the reason you can't get it out of your head is because it IS that catchy. But, part of that problem is the stuff that's catchy in your head you can't even sing along to out loud because you get strange looks from people. Like the way he goes, "ohOH" or the way he says shake it, shake it, shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Actually, the only reason I knew THAT'S what he was saying is because of the video. Because for the longest time, I thought he was saying "shake it like a corduroy bitch." I didn't understand how they could use that phrase on the radio and I really didn't understand what a corduroy bitch was. Are we categorizing bitches by the pants fabrics they wear now? Do polyester bitches just not shake it the same way??

Gimme some suga -- I AM yo neighbor!

HP

No comments:


Popular Posts