Thursday, February 12, 2004

Things that make you go, "What the fu..."

I like to pretend I'm going to travel. So, I get several travel oriented newsletters in the mail. Today I got one that said, "HEATHER! Discounted flights from Norfolk to the U.S."

Um, did we leave the Union successfully this time? How can I fly TO the U.S. if I'm already in it? Little unclear on that.

But then again, I think I'm permanently fuzzy now that I am studying philosophy. The query for the day is:

Is it possible to know that no one does know? Is it possible to know that no one does know that no one does know? Is it possible to know that no one can know no one does know? How do you know? How do you know that you do not know?

Yeah. I'm gonna need a little more coffee with that one, Bob. Tried to talk to the Unicorn about that, but she likes to argue a bit too much. Well, God bless her, she likes to listen to herself argue a bit too much. I like to entertain arguments, but in part because I like to hear other people's viewpoints. I get the feeling sometimes that she doesn't always think my viewpoint is as strong as hers because she makes my head hurt. For example, I believe that she believes in God, but have tried to discuss with her the possibility that she can't really KNOW there is a God because there is no way to know this. She disagrees. Vehemently.

That's why most of my friends tend to be heathens. I can't afford the aspirin it would take to keep up with the non-heathens.

Doesn't mean I don't love the Unicorn, because I think she's awesome. Just pulling from a different belief system, that's all. I just don't happen to think she's as wrong as she may think I am.

Or something.

Interesting.

Anyways -- the blogs are likely to continue about this sporadically. A) No one's reading but me anymore, which is fine on some levels but I am an attention whore and need the recognition. B) I just don't have time or energy to pump out readable stuff anymore. I used to be better about keeping track of anecdotes for later writing, but not much of a-HA seems to happen in my busy life. C) It's lost it's shine. At first blogging was a shiny thing for me and I really enjoyed my new toy. Maybe I'll get back to that.

The problem with this format I can't help but feel like I'm writing for someone else and for some slightly bigger purpose (even if my audience WAS only about 7) and when I feel that purpose shifting away, it's hard to lose the performing feeling. I can't let go of the idea that I'm writing for other people and therefore still continue to screen myself more so than if I were writing for personal reasons. I dislike the screening, but I feel it's a necessary evil of "just in case."

So, we'll see. For now I'll just go and vege for the night and soak it all in.

-HP

No comments:


Popular Posts