Thursday, January 06, 2005

Ring A Ling

My cell phone service provider was down today. I had no idea that I was quite so addicted to my phone. And being able to use it. And waiting for it not to ring.

It was really odd. Sometimes it would light up for no reason, and I would get a little lift of hope... Thinking that it might be working again. But, no it was just a glitch in the phone. No signal, no calls in or out. I felt trapped.

My friend said, "I have to find a payphone to check in with the man." Pay? phone? What is this pay phone you speak of? I can't even remember the last time I had to use a pay phone. I'm not even sure how much it costs to make a call. (50 cents, as it turns out. She talked until she used up the money and the "little woman in the phone" asked for more money... Don't want to waste a toll call, after all.) I'm sure using a pay phone may feel a little similar to paying for sex -- dirty and sordid. Not that I would, uh, know about that...

What if someone needed to reach me? Someone could be calling. My friend in Italy hasn't talked to me in forever, and she said that she would call... Maybe this would be the night! Julia, I'm here! My phone's just broken.

I felt like a homely girl on Friday night.

My phone started working before anyone else's did. And I did indeed feel touched by God. Well, at least touched. Probably in the head.


2 comments:

Cattiva said...

Gah! SO did the voicemail at least work? I'd hate to think you missed a call. Do you think Julia will understand?

Heather said...

No, not even voicemail. The horror. And no, Julia has not called nor written.


Popular Posts