Saturday, January 15, 2005

Next up: In Good Company

Just finished watching this, and it was so awesome! Don't you just love this time of year...? With our weird East Coast weather patterns (hello, can you say from shorts to popsicle in 12 hours time?) to the amazing movies that all squeezed in so they were fresh on Oscar voters' minds, this time of year is enough to make me yell ""Norman Mailer, I'm pregnant!"" Calm down, I am NOT pregnant!

Anyways... This was a great movie. It's been getting a lot of raves, and now I can see why. The plot definitely takes you to cheesy, but it's a nice ride along the way. I didn't mind buying in to the cheesy. I cried a little, but then again I'm a bit notorious with the weeping. I cried so hard when I saw that predictable Pay it Forward that I swallowed my gum. Do you guys remember that?! Scott and his friend Kenny had an incredibly good time making fun of me over that. But, then again -- what DIDN'T they have a good time making fun of me over? How fucked up is it that I reminisce about it?!

The best thing about this movie for me was that the main character, Dan Foleman, reminds me of my husband. Just a strong, decent man who really believes in what he does. I mean, how rare is that? I just loves my husband to pieces -- it's so disgusting! ;-)

It's really hard to not give away the movie. (Just as I've had a hard time not giving anything away about Million Dollar Baby. ) I really do forgive him for being so ridiculously cheesy in the Flight of the Phoenix. But, it really reminded me of a Jimmy Stewart movie. The nice guy has a happy ending and still manages to learn another lesson out of it. AND still manages to stay nice to the last person who he thought he could be kind to. Just amazing. Not sure if he'll get nominated, but he should be a contender. Dennis Quaid deserves it, too. Can anyone tell me if he has an Oscar or not??

So, not a review -- I'm too easily distracted to do those -- just a suggestion that you should go. It's good stuff. It's not terribly dark, but it definitely brings to mind some of the underbelly aspects of corporate America. Even somehow managed to stay away from being preachy and just pragmatic. How CAN you propose synergy while you're firing people to help make you a fatter bottom line? GREAT question, Dan!

Hope you watch it -- and better yet, I hope you tell me what you think!

'night

No comments:


Popular Posts