Thursday, January 19, 2006

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak outbecause I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak outbecause I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak outbecause I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller


I've been thinking about this a lot lately. We live in a country where our president thinks it's okay to eavesdrop on you if you belong to a group of people who meet and speak freely about your disagreements with American policies, just because you happen to be of Muslim faith.

We live in a country where Brokeback Mountain is in the top 10 in the movie theaters, just won a Golden Globe -- and yet our Congress is trying to pass a Constitutional Amendment stating that a marriage is between a man and a woman.

We live in a country where our President goes to war for one reason, claims a victory that didn't happen and then changes the reason for continuing the war and the American people just blindly go along with it.

The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer and people who's homes washed away with the hurricanes are ignored because they're poor.

And no one really seems to care. Because, they're Christian and heterosexual and reasonably affluent so it's not affecting them.

Well, when it does affect you, who's going to care about speaking up for you? There won't be anyone left.

And I can type away at my blog soapbox while watching all of my guilty pleasure tv, and what have I done?

First they came for the Muslims...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And eventually they will come for everyone who isn't them.

Our current administration has some unsettling similarities to notorious Fascist regimes in history, I agree with you. Unfortunately, we Americans seem to have collectively forgotten our history. And we all know what that leads to...

Rosebud said...

Unless we learn from our mistakes, we will always repeat history...


Popular Posts