Monday, September 06, 2004

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and
endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)



I love this so much I would actually like to put it on the side wall of my blog. Believe it or not, this is almost my creed. Which is a bit contrary to my other philosophy
Practice random acts of sarcasm, and senseless acts of cynicism. -Heather *** (1973-?)
It's hard to have both of these desires at the same time! ;-)

Seriously, can anyone show me HOW to put this on the side wall of my blog? It's the closest I'll ever get to prayer, eh?

Just to break it down, though Lord knows I HATE to over-analyze things (see, random acts...) here are some of those things that I have managed to accomplish.

To laugh often and much: Well, I think we all know just how often and how much. Even my stoic grandmother can attest that I'm always laughing, always happy. And Tony Kahlua can mock me for hours about just how loud that is.

to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children: I don't think it counts that I have faked the funk and gotten the intelligent people to think I was one of them. I've never really had the affection of children and even when I have, it's very fleeting. Perhaps this can explain my issues with "the kid thing"? Anyways, these two things are yet to be checked off the list.

to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; I have occasionally touched on the appreciation of an honest critic, but only by virtue of an association with someone said critic ACTUALLY appreciated. (If I am interpreting this phrase correctly.) And if there is anyone who cannot recite the story by heart of my own endural of the betrayal of a false friend then raise your hands because you are few and far between. Julia, I already know you forgot but at least you remembered that you forgot -- it doesn't count.

to appreciate beauty: You can't live in South Dakota for 5 years and not be able to appreciate beauty. It's kind of outside your door most of the time.

to find the best in others; I struggle with this. I think to be able to see this, you have to find the best in yourself. I REALLY struggle with that.

to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy
child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life
has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)


I guess this is why I am so drawn to "damsels in distress." While I rarely acquire new friends at my age, it often seems as though when/if I do they are friends I'm trying to rescue. To provide misguided therapy to the desperate masses by sarcasm and blunt cynicism, that is my plan to save the world! :-)

Perhaps I should leave this stuff up to my husband the part time super-hero.

And tune in next time for And Baby Makes... Four?

1 comment:

Cattiva said...

Here's my favorite Emerson quote:

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

And shoot me an email, I'll be happy to help you get your quote in your sidebar.


Popular Posts