Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oooo, book meme to keep me from starting paper for new class and springboard off of my last bloggy thing...

What are you reading now?
Okay, maybe it wasn't a good time to start this because what I'm actually reading is the textbook for my Theories of Personality class, which is imaginatively titled the same. However, I just finished Dream when you're feeling blueby Elizabeth Berg. I gotta tell you -- I am a sucker for a twist ending. In the movies, in books -- if I didn't see it coming (and I rarely do because I'm pretty dense) then it makes me like the book/movie more. The book is set in the 1940's during WWII but it's also written as if the author were in the 1940's. You don't see that very often in books that are set in the somewhat recent past. So, it took a little adapting because all of the golly gee and de facto sexism were a bit hard to swallow. But, the main character Kitty is a pleasant melange of confusion and the twist really did take me by surprise. Especially since I thought the book was pretty well over when it happened. I recommend it.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
Okay, so when I'm done reading my text book I will have at least a month, maybe two between classes. Plus I have like 12 days off for the holidays, so I'm definitely going to be trying to read some stuff. I've been on an Elizabeth Berg kick, but I have been compiling a list of things I would like to read so will likely pick something off of there. Margaret Atwood's name has popped up several times in a blog I like to read (Ms. Mac - from whom I stole this), so maybe I'll read another one of her novels. Then I can cross one of those 1001 books off my list.

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
Hm. I wasn't good about finishing the books that I was forced to read. I just fudged my way through the tests based on class discussions. I remember taking a particular dislike to Billy Budd. And I was too young when they made us read Siddhartha, there was no way I could appreciate that in the 9th grade.

What's one book you always recommend to just about anyone?
Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. This is the story of young Will Tweedy set in the turn of the century. His grandmother has recently died, and his grandpa sets the town in an uproar when 3 days later he decides to marry the amazingly lovely Miss Love. Gradually we learn why Grandpa decided to marry Miss Love and Will becomes a big defender of their relationship. (Partially stolen from the review at Amazon, but better summary then I could have come up with.) I just love this book. It's wonderful. I loan it to everyone I know and hope they love it as much I do.

Admit it, sadly the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they?
Sadly, they don't because I don't read fast enough to utilize the library.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don't like it at all?
Yup. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Maybe it's the title. Maybe it's the somewhat depressing nature of the story. It's Dave Eggers story of how, when he was 22, he was "orphaned" by his parent's deaths. They died within 5 months of each other, each of a different kind of cancer. Dave is forced to become the custodial parent of his 8-year-old brother and the antics begin. I love it for its self-deprecation and, well, it's heartbreaking genius.

Do you read books while you eat?
Sure, sometimes. Are there people who don't?

While you bathe?
Bathing would involve cleaning the tub and I would be losing reading time by cleaning the tub.

While you listen to music?
No, I can't even walk and chew gum.

While you're on the computer?
This is a very strange question. I don't get it.

When you were little did other children tease you about your reading habits?
Hmmm. Did they? I don't think so. I mean, I read a lot as a kid, but not to the detriment of socializing. I didn't read while I was on the phone, which was pretty much all the time.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?
One would think the answer would be the last Harry Potter. But in fact, I went to bed shortly after getting out of line. I can't remember the answer to this. I don't have the stamina to stay up half the night any more. But, I did read Harry Potter for 14 hours the next day, so I think this should still count since the affect of the lost time was similar.

Okay. The end of the meme. FUN!

No comments:


Popular Posts