Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pass the catch-up, bitches...

Two weekends ago I was supposed to have my cousin and her husband in to visit. I was really looking forward to her visit as they are moving to San Francisco shortly and that's basically another country. (Yes, I know it's not actually another country but you can't go there for a weekend trip.) She's a vegetarian (or was) and there were jokes about me buying tofurkeys and whatnot.

But, they got hit by one of the worst travel days ever -- or at least that is how our local paper referred to it the next day. They were stuck on the runway at their local airport for several hours and they were not allowed off the plane -- they had to fly to their next hub. When they were flown to their next hub, delay after delay led them to having to be returned to their hometown because the only flight they could get in would arrive at 3pm the next day! For a weekend visit! Apparently there were major computer issues that were further exacerbated by lightning storms.

And then their luggage got lost to boot.

No visit from cousin and just a tragically expensive non-visit for them. HUGE bummer!

Last weekend, Julia and her boyfriend Emanuele (Ay-man-well-ay, for you non-Italians out there) came to visit. I can't really bitch about what freaks they because they're some of my only readers...

HA! Kidding. It was all good. Julia and I had a girly day, Scott and Emanuele had a boy-y day and then we headed to Julia's 15 year high school reunion. I graduated a year ahead of her, but still didn't really know anyone there. Several folks thought I looked vaguely familiar and I thought they looked vaguely familiar and then I had enough wine and everyone looked vague and then we came home.

A good time was had by some. :)

I'll try to put up some photos soon but I haven't had my regular computer for a while and it's still moving kind of weird so I'm not promising anything.

In other news, I will be starting a brand new schedule at work at the end of July -- 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. Woo freaking hoo!!! I'm not too excited about the 7:30 part (have you met me?), but I have longed to be off earlier as I watch the contented (read: tenured) folks file past every day while the sun is still up... So, I'm going to suck it up.

It is absolutely AMAZING all the things I think I will be able to accomplish in that extra 1.5 hours I'm going to be home. I'm going to do all the laundry and have a clean house and watch Oprah and walk the dog and shit, I may even write the great American novel if I'm going to be ambitious about it! It's as though it hasn't occurred to me, yet, that I'm supposed to be going to be an hour and a half earlier if I'm going in that much earlier.

And still in all those fantasies it never occurred to me that I could start cooking dinner for my husband and me....

I just blew my own friggin' mind with that one -- so, that's all for the catch up.

No comments:


Popular Posts