Wednesday, June 20, 2007

One thing I forgot to mention about J & E's visit is the phrase that changed my life. I was just blown away. She says that I say it all the time in so many words, but I just never really phrased it this succinctly. And that is, wisdom is not communicable.

I just don't have this kind of way with words. It takes me a long time to say this same thing. And it's true -- this theme resonate throughout my blog, but it just never would have dawned on me to summarize it like that. And because it hadn't been summarized, I never really thought about the gist of this statement.

It's depressingly true.

One of my long-time favorite blogs, http://www.rabbitblog.com/, also frequently resonate this theme. Though she really really does try to transpose her wisdom in bare bones, no crap language. But, still, I can't help but wonder if the people reading her advice just blow her off and think she just doesn't understand them.

I think it happens a lot. Maybe less when people are actually asking for the advice, but still...

One of my biggest flaws (and I have SO many) is that I used to really try to help people see how they and their behavior was seen from an outside perspective. I am really trying to work on this because I have come to the epiphany that people really do prefer to remain blind to their own short-comings. They don't need me to tell them how they really are, especially since it's only from my perspective and not from EVERYONE on the planet and who am I?

Plus, I know I wouldn't like it if people broke it down to me the way I break it down to them. I still try to talk straight most of the time, but I try to focus that on me and my experiences and not involving perceptions of other people. And I someone asks me what I think, well -- I'm going to tell them. This presented countless issues with the class of Julia and I's fashion senses this weekend and I really had some idea of how my mother must feel when she's shopping with me.

Egad!

Anyways, it's a flaw correction in progress. And unlike most of my other flaws, I really am trying to work on it and just shut up and let people see themselves the way they want. I think we all want to have people in our lives who appreciate us the way that we are -- or at least let us continue in our fantasy versions of ourselves.

So remember, unlike TB -- wisdom is not communicable.

No comments:


Popular Posts