Thursday, October 06, 2005

Another weight loss thing with a theory...

My co-worker that joined WW with me has been losing a bit faster than I have, and since I am competitive about the dumbest things (though, deeply shamed by it -- another blog) this has really been bugging me. She keeps saying she hasn't been "good" and yet she usually gets better results on the scale than I do.

Now, my theory is that I am losing weight slower because I have never actively tried to lose weight in my adult life for more than a few weeks. So, I'm thinking that I am losing the weight at a slower pace because my body isn't used to yo-yo dieting and so doesn't react as easily to lifestyle changes. I think this may be based on something I have actually heard about weight loss, so someone back me up here. What I have heard is that if you are constantly dieting that it's easier for your body to slip into that routine and start dropping the pounds at first and then you usually plateau at the point where you "leave off" every time.

True or false? Madame Librarian?? I'm deferring to you now that you have time away from your crazy work schedule. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ummm...that is VERY true...I had a hard time losing after the 185 point...I had been 235 and the first 10-15 dropped off and then it was slow from there because I hadn't been below 215-210 for a couple of years...then I FINALLy got below 200 after a few months then stalled again...I am still trying to get below 180 but go between 175-180 on any given day...
BUT I haven't been over 190 in over a year!
with each ten pounds I gave up something bad up and started eating something better...Soda for more veggies, heavy fatty meats for more fish and chicken, pasta and lots of breads for more fruit...AND I didn't totally give up anything but I started eat A LOT less and then I just didn't want it except for now and then when there is nothing else available and I am STARVING...
Good luck!
lori


Popular Posts