Saturday, September 24, 2005

Coach Big Daddy!

Recently, Scott's been talking about wanting to shoot hoops. I have no idea where this is coming from, but he is talking about it all the time. "I wanna get a basketball and go down and shoot some hoops!"

What are you, 10? Where is this coming from?? But, I really try to get enthusiastic about anything that might get us out of the house and off of our asses. I mean, Lord knows I can't really motivate myself to do that on my own -- I really need help. But, we have a strong ass-couch attraction on our house. Hello, we're Americans and if we weren't fat and lazy then the terrorists will have won.

But, I digress.

So, we happened upon a basketball when we were moving out the furniture from the condo. The last tenants had left behind a basketball. It was a souvenir one and not regulation size, but I managed to convince Scott that it would do for now. (Doesn't take much to convince him not to spend money, bless his heart.)

Long story short -- too late. We go down tonight to shoot some hoops. And it was great! I had a lot of fun and we got to spend some time together outdoors and teasing each other and just having fun. Then, he starts giving me pointers. And, totally not in some obnoxious guy way -- like, let me show you how to do that again because clearly you're just not getting it. It was just so sweet and supportive. Getting me pumped up about making easy shots, and then he was actign like it was so unusual that he was making all these shots. But, Heather you look like a pro! Totally stroking my ego, but in this amazingly supportive, noncondescending way...

And this was when I had the epiphany. Scott should be a school coach! He laughed this off -- he said he didn't know anything about sports. But, then started calling all of the parts of the basketball court and teaching them to me. Showing me the mechanics of what makes the shot good.

I am telling you all -- it was amazing. I just couldn't stop thinking about how many kids' lives would be better off with him in it. Just infinite amounts of patience and this perfect ability to push you without even realizing that he is doing it. It was like I saw him for the first time. Not because I had never witnessed this behavior in him before, but because I was just now really seeing it and appreciating him for who he is.

Seriously, it sounds a little crazy but I just wish I could talk him into it. No, it wouldn't be a great big salary or get us the vacation of our dreams every year... But, you know the saying, "you do what you love..." So, if you never work a day in your life, then who cares about money and vactions?"

Don't you think we want those things because we think they will bring us some elusive happiness that we just can't seem to achieve?



Wow.



Didn't think it was possible to blow smoke that far up one's own ass! Who knew??

All I am saying is that the world needs Coach Big Daddy -- fuhgeddabout over-analyzing why!

xoxo

H

ps -- Watched one of my favorite movies tonight I, Robot. It totally enravels me in the meaning of the universe and the great philosophical questions that I like to ask over and over. I turn everything into the meaning of life.

How fucking pretentious and silly is that?

3 comments:

Adam said...

Heather, you are my hero.

Adam said...

oh yeah, and that whole 'next blog' button up there ^^ is the devil!

THIS is what I found: http://sarabear4christ.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Heather, you are my hero.

Um, okay.

And I checked out that site -- SCARY!


Popular Posts