Friday, May 20, 2005

Ketchup

Crap, I've gone a neglected the darned blog again. Last post was 5/5... On 5/7, my beloved and I went to New York City for a week. We had a great time, though we spent a fair amount of time complaining about all of the walking we had to do. But, we like to complain -- so that was inadvertenly fun too. (No, he does not agree that he likes to complain. Which, frankly, he doesn't as much as I do -- but who does?!)

I have shared many of my NY stories in person or by phone, so I'm a little story-sharing out. Which is unfortunate for those of you out there in blogger-land, but there it is. Truth be told, we spent a fair amount of time just wandering around the city and being sort of lost and eating. There was a lot of eating. We kept searching for THE New York food experience, I think. Unfortunately, I think we had that too early in our trip when my cousin took us to Thai food at this nifty little place called Sea in Brooklyn. I had never had Thai food before, and I LOVED it. There were several other good eating experiences, but that one by far topped it. The food was good, the atmosphere was interesting, and the prices didn't make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. (Wish I could say the same for the drinks at the Trump Bar -- $36 for 2 martinis! Yikes!!)

Speaking of martinis, here's the recipe (sort of) for what I drank when I could on our trip. I found it in one of my chick mags and it's called a French 75. It's 1/4 oz gin, 1/4 oz cointreau, 1/4 lemon juice and 5 oz champagne. It doesn't sound like a great combination, but it was very yummy. Our last night there I got cut off by the bartender because I had had 8 in like 3 hours and she was concerned. Hmm, since I didn't even realize I was that drunk, guess I should have been more concerned. I mostly drank a doctored version of this, as most places don't keep champagne around 'just in case.' The doctored version involved white wine and then whatever the bartender used to concoct the lemon and fizziness -- usually Sprite. Actually, I had a champagne version, and I must say the doctored version (when done correctly, which isn't easy) was better.

Why don't I own a martini shaker again?

Here's the up-to-the-minute latest...

It seems that the pattern I seem to now fall into, now that I have found a man who doesn't continuously disappoint me, is to befriend women who find ways to do this. I thought I had managed to end this when I cut off the Gnome, but no. I was supposed to lay low with a friend tonight who was on the verge of major drama with the on-again, off-again putz in her life. Apparently, the off became on and I got put on the back burner.

The irony of this situation is that the reason he was about to become off (again) is because of his failure to keep commitments to her, or lack of follow through. When she complained about it this afternoon, she admitted to quoting from the damned not that into me book when she said, "When you don't call me, you are saying to me that I am not important enough to make a priority in your life." And then, she doesn't call.

I can't stand it, I just can't stand it. I just can not believe this is happening again. And (JUST LIKE DATING!) we are in the early stages of friendship, so I am not sure if I should call her on this or just let it go when I get the lame-ass excuse that I am bound to get. We connected on many of the same levels, we had similar senses of humor, I had a lot of hopes for this one. I can't keep putting myself out there to replicate the friendships of my youth, when clearly it can't be done.

So, I'm frustrated. And hurt. And just wishing that when the good ones were here, they wouldn't keep moving the fuck away and making me call them at all hours of the night to complain about them moving away. Damn.

Well, I'm going to mope and drink more wine and pretend like I'm not moping, which is always fun.

Anyways, that's the ketchup -- it's just regular stuff from here on out...

Pause though to throw hugs out to my cousin for making me feel better about "keeping it real" where my life and relationships are concerned. She told me that I air the things that a lot of people think about and go through, but never talk about and that she liked that. That makes me happy. :-)

kisses

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can call me at anytime you wish ;-) And kudos to your cousin. There are very few people out there that are willing to air out what they are thinking or feeling!


Popular Posts