Monday, March 08, 2004

Where the FUCK did my life go??

It's like, I'm sitting here one minute and it's Christmas and then 20 seconds later it's March 8. March friggin' 8th. I am getting married in 4 months and becoming Mrs. Ohtheresplentyoftimeforthat.

Ri-ight.

So, I keep buying into that, until folks keep asking me if I've done this or that or thought of this or that and I just stare at them blankly until they get the point. Sometimes they do not get the point, so I will try to cry or scream or whatever it takes to make them run away in fear.

Sometimes those people are my future mother in law or even my own mother, so the above is not an option. That's when I just sputter through my answers and ask them what their thoughts are. Sometimes this work.

Sometimes I use their thoughts as a firm idea of what I definitely do NOT want. This seems to work well, sometimes.

And then the planning took a complicated turn this weekend because we spent a lot of time with Scott's extended step-family, I guess you could call them. They're not related by blood but he's been close to them for years so they may as well be. These people were friggin' awesome. They love to party and they like to get together and talk trash. The problem is that there is like 100 of them or more. I can't afford to throw a wedding for 250 people, I just can't. But, the grumbling was starting because almost none of the cousins are going to be invited -- and this was a very sore subject.

Which I can and can't understand. I mean, I get that they're family and they want to be included but they have to understand that weddings are not free, right? I would love to have them all there -- I thought they were great. Frankly, a hell of a lot more exciting than my own family to be sure -- and possibly even more interesting than many of my friends. But, still they are my family and my friends and you just have to draw the line somewhere.

It really is the guest list that pushes you over the edge. It's the cutting it down and catering it to whom you think will actually come and whether or not they will even fit in with your other crew and so on and on. It's ridiculous. It becomes a hierarchy of anyone you have ever known and how important they really are to you. It's probably the number one thing that is related to the wedding that Scott and I disagree on. If he had it his way, there would be practically no one there. He says it should be about the people who are involved in our lives. I say that there are plenty of people that I'm not involved with on a daily basis who mean or have meant a lot to me through the years. I want to share this day with all the people who have brought me to where I am today. Almost everyone that you meet in life has some influence on your life, even if that influence is no greater than "phew, sure am glad THAT'S not my life."

Anyways, I did want to write about the weekend with Scott's family -- but there's too much that's not really fit for public consumption, so I guess you'll just have to ask me about it if you want to know. ;-)

rsvp now you hear?

HP

No comments:


Popular Posts