Wednesday, February 01, 2017






I was talking to Scott on the phone tonight and he thought it was nice that Trump went and visited the family of the fallen soldier.  It is, it was.  If only it wasn't surrounded by all of this other shit.  And I guess this was tweeted before the leaked draft of “Establishing a Government-Wide Initiative to Respect Religious Freedom,”

This is exhausting.  

I just cannot understand how we live in a country that is so okay with stripping away so many people's freedoms.  It hurts my heart.  It's why I have such a hard time being okay with Trump supporters.  Republicans generically, I guess that's fine. I say because I want to believe that I understand your ideology.  But I don't.  I really don't.  
I'm not a Christian.  I'm not an atheist though.  I believe that there is a higher power or something greater than us, but I don't think It cares about us or is involved in our daily lives.  I don't even think it is a Being.  But the Universe didn't just "happen", there's some reason behind all of this.  I believe that.  But does that transcend into life after death?  No.  Not that I believe, but I do not know.  I cannot know.  They tell me that's a faith thing....

But here's the thing.  There are all kinds of different "faith things."  And every single one of those faith things thinks that their thing is The Thing.  Even within those faiths, there are different flavors of that faith that think their flavor of that faith is The Flavor.  If there is One Answer and One God, then how do you know its yours?  That faith thing, right?  Well, why is your god that you have YOUR faith in better than that guy's god or that other guy's god?  How do you know you have the right answer?  (From South Park -- "the correct answer was Mormon")

Now we have Donny taking away people's religious freedom.  We already knew he wanted to do that.  He said it on the campaign trail.  First he wants to ban as many Muslims from coming in to the country as he can.  Who knows what happens next?  History teaches us that it's not going to stop there.

Why am I fired up about this too when I don't even practice a religion?  Well, it is precisely because I do not practice a religion.  Maybe they come for all non-Christians next.  And the irony that there were Christians who came to this country fleeing religious persecution because THEIR flavor of Christianity wasn't in line with the popular flavor in the 1600 and 1700s should not be lost.  

Exhausted by all of this, people.  Exhausted.

Heather

No comments:


Popular Posts