Thursday, July 31, 2008

Strange, drunk question..?

Did you ever have twin friends? When you are an only child, this is a particularly strange breed of friendship to have.

I have an adult friend who is not only a twin, but she (and of course her twin) share my birthday. Strange enough.

But, from a very young age I had a set of twins that I was very close to because they lived next door. But, because they lived next door, we were pretty close for a pretty long time. At least until we were old enough to realize that we belonged to different social castes and then we sort of separated ways.

But, many thoughts linger in my mind. One, when you are friends with twins are you ever close to any one twin? Is there a difference in your relationships and how different is it? But, more pressing -- if it starts at a young age, does it ever go away??

My two closest twin friends lived next door from me from I can't remember when (we moved there when I was only one) til just after they were in 6th grade. It wasn't too far -- just townhouses on the outskirts of my neighborhood, just far enough to be inconvenient to a 6th grader. When we were all in high school at the same time, they said hi to me in the halls and vice versa, but it was clear that we ran with different people. It wasn't spoken, we didn't talk, but it was never awkward. It just was what it was for high school. I would get the random birthday ballooon which was weirder than anything.


Flash was forward. I move back to VB in 2000 and somehow these twins know. I get invited to a last minute bridal shower and wedding -- the events weren't last minute, just my invite.

The thing is... I loved these girls. Neither was ever a favorite for long. It was all just about history. And we had some young, young history. They maybe even knew my mother when she could hear, which they might not remember. But, it was even that they knew that this was a memory that shared a bond. And we walked with different people and spoke different languages, we had this shared fucked up Fairfield life in common...

Anyways... Lots of cheap, pink wine -- I say big hugs to Holly and Jenny and love you both through the weirdness and madness that has been our shared 30+ on the planet together. You'll always be a part of my heart even if we don't know each other's phone numbers, email addresses or new last names..

It is what it is.

No comments:


Popular Posts