Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My brother

I've been drinking wine tonight because I've been having problems sleeping, so I thought... Why not wine?

Why not indeed?

Just the right amount of wine makes me just the right amount of sentimental. And tonight, that sentimentality (word?) has lead me to think about "my brother".

I don't have a real brother -- I am an only child, as everyone knows. But, I have always considered "JD" my brother. He is my godmother's youngest and I have known him as long as I have been alive. We hung out this past weekend for the first time in years.

It was awesome. I learned that my brother and me, we have more in common than I thought. But, more than anything, I remembered why I think of him as my brother. Because he's so fun and so real at the same time. I know that if I were ever in a capital r real jam that my brother would be there for me. I do not know how I know this, and I had not thought about it before this weekend but it really came to me. Not that JD is known for his "being-there-ness", I give him shit about his being there for my godmom on a regular basis. But, still... I know. It's nice to know.

It's nice to know that someone that close to me knows (far more than I) what it's like to not have your dad around. It's nice to know that someone actually gets my sense of humor. It's nice to know that someone can love his mom as much as I do, and yet still be driven completely insane by her at the same time.

JD is something else. He has a brother, but I don't consider HIS brother MY brother -- if that makes any sense. I love his brother, and I'm sure in his own way his brother loves me too. But, JD and I are closer in age, closer in Zodiac sign (if you buy into that crap), and just closer in understanding what it's really all about. Or, I would like to think so.

My favorite way to get him to do things for me is to remind him that I taught him what sex is. No, not in THAT way -- trust. We were too too young; I just told him what it was. He had no idea, but his wife says he's figured it out really well now and thanks for that. I don't care about all that, I just need the leverage. :-)

So, this one is for my brother JD -- next time you hear that Devo song, Whip It -- you think of me, and let everyone else wonder why, okay? Heh, heh.

kisses all --

HPL

No comments:


Popular Posts