Wednesday, March 16, 2005

drama rama lama ding dang!!

I have to admit that sometimes I miss the drama. The why didn't he CALL me and the and then Suzy said that Janey told her... and all that jazz. I don't miss it enough to invite it over and feed it a meal or anything, but I do miss it.

But, fortunately I have found a substitution for all that drama. It's called Smallville and it's on the oh-my-God WB. Yes, I am becoming the poster-child for the only white shows on theWB and I could NOT be prouder!

Now, I do admit that Smallville is really addictive when combined with other substances (insert your drug of choice here), but I'm starting to get where it's the other substance on it's own.

The background is that this show is about Superman's life as Clark Kent when he was growing up in, you guessed it, Smallville. Clark's got all these super-powers that he has to hide because his parents (the adorable Jonathan and Martha Kent) don't want them to take him away to study him. He's from another planet. He's madly in love with Lana Lang and his best girlfriend Chloe (the nosy journalist, hmm) is madly in love with him. And there's Lex Luthor who is actually Clark's best friend.

And it's the Lex and Clark relationship in juxtaposition (who had an English terms test tonight, huh?) with Lex and his father Lionel. Lex has what can only be referred to as a complicated relationship with his father. He believes his father is trying to kill him because he learned the truth about his father's past; meanwhile, his father tries to convince the world that Lex's theories are crazy and that Lex is in need of mental help. BUT, is Lex crazy or is Lionel really rich enough to buy that many people into his conspiracy?

But, that's too far along. Because the dynamic that builds first is that between Lex and Clark. Clark and Lex truly are close -- not at all what you would think. Lex can almost taste what's different about Clark and really struggles with pushing for information while trying to maintain some kind of honesty in their relationship. In the beginning their chats were a little cheesy. And maybe they still are and I've grown immune to it.

That's probably it.

I just want one more person to get into this cult with me so that they understand. I NEVER though I would get this deep into the Smallville. I thought it's a bunch of pretty people and how clever to explore Superman as young Clark Kent. But, this show is worse than crack. It's like comparing Starlight Mints to crack. Y'all know my affection for the Gilmore Girls and they will always be my original WB ho's. But even my addiction to this can't hold a candle to my Smallville problem. I have lost sleep. I have pulled conspiracy theories and yarns up the wazoo. It's just crazy how much it can mess with your head.

Frankly, it's poetic. Because there are so many elements to it that are in the cheesiness and schmaltz that turn it into something better. There is the quippiness of the dialogue. To see Lex and Lionel verbally spar with their references to obscure dead Asian Emperors is like being able to see a really good sword fight in person. There is the weird things that kryptonite does to people. There is Red Kryptonite Clark -- an exploration in the dark side of not just his personality but of anyone's. You're not all good all the time, no one can be. There has to be an outlet somewhere. But the people who love us, they refuse to see that dark side. They doubt it. And then, there is the music. The theme song will get an earworm on you like no tomorrow. There's probably one of those hidden messages in it which is why you get so addicted to the show. (You better waaaaaaacth this shooooow. From now on. Uh huh. <-- sung to the tune of that Save Me song.) During all of the dramatic moments, there is the very low flute playing. The music slowly rises as the drama gets more tense and builds and builds and then the music stops. Like it never was playing and you were just imagining it. But, then it slowly softly starts again. You're not even sure you're hearing the song, and was that the teeniest piece from the Superman movies that just played?? And then there are songs that were completely ubiquitous a few years ago and then they slowly faded away to the point where when you heard it you were like "Oh, I love that song" after so recently being tired of hearing it all the time.

(What, like you never got so sick of Don't Worry Be Happy that you were worried that you wouldn't be happy again? But, then a few years after it finally faded away and you heard it you found yourself begrudgingly singing along and then really getting into it and actually being happy?)

Where was I? Yes. Smallville. Ah. It's just awesome. Go watch some but don't tell me what happens in Season 4, I'm trying to stay in order.

SOMEBODY SAAAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEE!

1 comment:

Cattiva said...

Isn't there a 12 step program for this?


Popular Posts