Thursday, January 31, 2008

chicken or the egg?

Sometimes I don't know if I had emotional issues and that led to my getting overweight OR if I became overweight and then developed emotional issues about my size.

My non-media perfect size.

It's hard to say because of the media. Most of the time I'm sure it's the former. But then I think that the primary place that I hear that emotional issues are manifested in obesity -- is in the media. And the funny thing is that they are blaming themselves.

So, like Bizarro Superman -- it's hard to tell what's real anymore.

It's hard not to remember a time that I didn't think "if I were just this size, I would be happy..." It's always been this way. I mean, the goal is a moving target. Always just barely attainable so I can continue to keep happiness out of reach. Usually I match myself against someone and then try to aim for where it seems like they are physically. (At least, in mind.) I get to thinking that there's some magic formula of diet and exercise and willpower that will get me close to looking like this person and then I will be happy. I will accept that.

But, it's only mentally that this diseases exists. I don't manifest any symptoms externally -- that would mean that I would really have to exercise and care much more about my diet. To me, this is what REALLY burns calories -- is sheer and utter willpower and determination.

Grit.

I want to have grit. I want to be tough. I really don't want to care what other people think or feel or say about me. Yet, I still want to be tender at the same time. In certain senses, I am (gag) like the Republican fantasy about the Iraq War -- I want to maintain the hard candy shell but have a soft gooey interior. My marshallow heart caged in a body of steel. (Can't you just see the tattoo of that now, Kay?)

I want to WANT to run around the block and lift weights and find 0 point snacks to munch on all day. But I also want to WANT to have children and like having puppies lick my face and buy people presents for no reason.

It's this constant push and pull that has been the apex of the cone of my existence... (Yes, I know I stole this from some essay -- don't write in.) I want to be popular and well-liked, but yet I want to be left alone. I want to exercise and be active and healthy but I want to joke about being fat and lazy and can't do it if it's not true. BECAUSE I want to be known as someone who is a blunt bitch but yet lies to save people's feeling all the time. I think because I tell so many of those white lies, it makes me want to be brutally honest about how I feel all the time. Which in turn hurts people's feelings which I should just say what I mean in the first place. I want to be good at my job and still be an outsider. I wanted to be respected for my book smarts but yet appreciated for my dingy ditzy blondeness.

I don't even get me!

And now I don't know if I want to go get some exercise and some stretches or have a snack. After all, I wanted to go to bed so I could FINALLY get a good night's sleep before my long day tomorrow -- but I just couldn't wait to pour this stuff out of my head and onto my blog.

Oy, vey!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather you are exactly the weight you should be considering your diet and exercise level. So am I. I think you suffer from two issues:

1. The Grass Is Greener...

It isn't. If you don't believe me, ask Scott.

2. Unrealistic Expectations.

Here's where your "media based" body image comes into play. Supermodels are as genetically FREAKY as hunchbacks. Tall skinny broads are in short supply, which is why they use them for modeling. It's their RARETY that makes them valuable. The rest of us have "normal" genetics. In essence you wish you were abnormal.

When you look at it that way, it's kinda silly, isn't it?

Stop beating yourself up over that which you don't want to (and thus cannot) change and work on that which you can change. Beating your head against the wall because you weren't born a freak is.. beneath you.

Rock ON!

R

Anonymous said...

ummm. that guy is awesome..Just in case you did not know...
You'll like this...I just bought 3 same size bras and all of them are different lengths...ONE IS 7 INCHES longer than the other... and another is 3 inches longer...This is why we are crazy... because 3 year olds in Cambodia make the clothes we buy...
Loves!
lala
PS--you are AWESOME!

Kay said...

Heather, answer this for me? Who do you know that doesn't have some type of emotional issues? You I do! Weight, too much skin, no money, too much money, board with life, wanting to do everything, not the right boyfriend or husband, can't keep up with the Smiths because I'm a Jones.... it goes on and on for everyone. I should take my own advice but it is so much easier to give it! The goal is just out of reach because YOU keep moving it. If you the perfect "media" size then I suggest you get some bone implants so you will be the right height, have your face surgically altered, you stomach stapled, the extra removed, divorce Scott, mary the "media" perfect man, find the bottomless money pit, live in the right city what ever that might be then let me know what life is like. Will you have real friends? Probably not, your psyche says they are after your money, they are jealous, they want your "media" perfect husband........ You are a beautiful, bright, fun woman. It is ok to be you just as it ok for me to be me. Your hard outer shell has a lot of cracks in it because that is NOT who you are my friend.
I need a tramp stamp!! So lets go.

Heather said...

You guys are strange and weird and wonderful and thanks for putting up with my whining... I don't want to be abnormal, I just want to like how I am now. And I get to a point where I do and then I don't again. Even when I get everything about me just SO..., then I have to live and breathe in a bubble to keep it that way. I'm just frustrated, I guess.

I think it's PMS, but who knows?

Anonymous said...

By the way, you're gorgeous the way you are!

Rocco

Anonymous said...

Heather, I can understand what you are saying. You get to a point that you have strived for, you are happy for about a minute, and then it isn't good enough anymore. I guess we have to understand that perfection isn't in the next new lotion to get rid of wrinkles, the next strange workout, or the next new diet. We just have to get a new set of expectations, maybe one that says, "hey,things are great just like they are". It's not easy, I'll let you know when i get there. Love, Jess
P.S. I am just checking in on you. I am glad that you seem to be doing well.I ask Jeff about you but he hasn't seen you in awhile.


Popular Posts