Sunday, February 06, 2005

Time to say Goodbye, Girls


All I can is all good things must come to an end... I mean, we'll see each other. We still have a regular appointment every week. But, it's not like the visits we've BEEN having. But, at least my husband will be happy that my time with the Girls has come to an almost screeching halt compared to where it was.

You see, I've been dating the Gilmore Girls pretty regularly for the last few weeks. I've spent most of the last few weekends with them. I've heard such good things about the show for so long that I decided to start tivo-ing (when is this going to officially become a verb?) the reruns on ABC's Family channel. (Weekdays at 5pm.) From what I can gather from the GG website (which is here), I didn't get heavily involved until the middle of season three. Which means I've watched about a season and a half of the "old" episodes and started about halfway through the new season. It's been a little confusing, but the ride's worth.

Tonight, I hit the last episode of season four, and then the reruns cycled back to the beginning. I thought this would be kind of cool because then I could experience the show from beginning to where I am now... But, I think I may be done.

I'm not clearing them off the Tivo yet, mind you. But, the older ones don't have quite the verve that the newer ones do. I know how things turn out, it feels weird to be doing all that getting to know you stuff so late in the game. (It's one of the reasons I pretend to advocate waiting to sleep with someone until you've dated them for a while if you think you're really going to want to DATE them.) The characters are in the early stages (obviously), and I'm not sure I want to know that side of them. If I had met them that way, I'm sure I would have all the more appreciation for how much they wound up growing and filling out. But, as it is -- they just seem off. Lorelai's not QUITE as silly as she becomes, Rory's wit isn't quite as subtle, what is UP with Sookie being SO clumsy, and Emily's hair? Richard falling asleep at dinner? Luke doesn't want Rory to be like Lorelai?? Are you kidding me?!

So. I think I might have to settle in to just one episode a week. The new episode. Just the new ones. Or the newest ones. I could probably stand to see the first half of season three... But, that's before Rory goes to college, which are becoming some of my favorites...

Okay, I'm obsessing again. It's not too late for you, gentle reader. You can start and meet them from the beginning, weekdays at 5pm on the ABC Family channel. Check your local listings and set your Tivo -- you'll be happy you met the Girls. I know I have been.

My husband, on the other hand, well -- that's another blog...

2 comments:

alice, uptown said...

I love the girls and their snappy retorts. I love Stars Hollow. Would I want to live there? Might be a tad small for me (and I would have shot Taylor by now). Might be a lot of fun.

Hoping for a new episode tonight.

Heather said...

It IS going to be a new episode tonight! Yippy!

I watched a rerun this morning (home with the sniffles) and this just confirms my feelings that the new ones are better. Rory was just so teenagery in the early years. Yes, of course, she was a teenager then -- but it was the very fact that she seldom acts like one is what really drew me to the show.


Popular Posts