Saturday, October 30, 2004

I got to thinking about something this morning and I can't seem to get it out of my head. And here you are inside...

There is probably a simple answer to this that I just never read far enough or long enough to figure out... I've been thinking about the President's approval rating. I don't really understand this concept. The media is forever talking about how the President's approval rating went up or down, and I recently read an article that stated that it is a known fact that the President's approval rating will go up by as much as 3 points whenever the terror alert is raised. What I want to know is -- where is this rating coming from? Are there people randomly polled? Is it done by phone or a man on the street? How is the question rated? "Do you approve of the President?" Are the same people always called? "How do you feel about him RIGHT NOW?" Is there some criteria you have to meet before being able to say you approve or disapprove of the job the President is doing? Do you have to take a test? Is there an SOL for this?

I'm curious in part because while I have been inundated with political messages (ha -- no more of that since I lost the answering machine) and mailers, no one has EVER called me to ask if I approve of the job the President is doing. Nor have I ever been stopped on the street and polled for this information. So, who are these people? Where do they live? I don't get it.

And finally, in more of our continuing series on how Heather gets all of her news from Comedy Central if you didn't get a chance to see last weeks South Park then you really must before the election. I haven't seen anything that hit the issues and malfunctions that surround this entire campaign more than those badly drawn kids -- oh my God. I haven't laughed that hard since... Well, since the last time I laughed that hard!

I slept well for the first time in ages and woke up to one of my (new) all time favorite movies on HBO this morning (Somethings Gotta Give) -- it's going to be a very good day! Tonight we're going on a double date that isn't a date but it is and doing company stuff. It's yet another time that I'm missing all the Halloween stuff, which I'm bummed about. I was invited to one cool party and would have crashed another that I WASN'T invited to... I mean, HONESTLY -- is it not time to let old dramas friggin' die already and be around people that were formerly uncomfortable situations again? It's totally ridiculous. I'm well over 30 and married, I could give a crap about the situation that (I assume) kept me from getting an invite to this other party and yet it continues to rage on. Oh well. Guess I'll have to look forward to seeing pictures of everyone in their spooky wear -- I'll be "dressy casual" this evening.

Now if only I could figure out what the fuck THAT means. Dressy casual. Think I'm going to wear a sequined top and pajama pants!

3 comments:

Cattiva said...

It's like the Neilson ratings. Who are those people? DO they exist?

We're skipping the party thing, too. Going to Howl 'O Scream instead. We WERE going to have a party (which, of course you would have definitely been invited to - your costumes are some of my favorites as you well know), but it really was too much hassle this year. The house is a wreck, I'm trying to graduate and quite frankly we're just lazy and tired. So Busch Gardens it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures, too. And we now have a year to design our next costumes.

Heather said...

I a little (/insert correct word) [NOTE: I wanted to do that blog tag style, but stupid blogger wouldn't let me!] that my over-sensitivity lead to such heartfelt responses from you and C. That was very sweet and I just want to reiterate here in Bloggerville that that comment was NOT directed at you. I knew you weren't having a party, so therefore didn't expect to be invited. It was nice to hear that NO ONE was having a party so didn't have to crash anything or feel left out. So, thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

ummm...I invited you to a party we had last night I even had an invite ready for you but you said you wouldn't be available so...I had a limited number of invites because I made them...So if I knew you weren't going to be around you didn't get one...Which some people were upset about cause they just wanted to see what it looked like...I am in the middle of downloading pics from last night...
lori


Popular Posts