Friday, June 16, 2006

Meetin'

Tonight Scott and I went to our first "Meet In Va Beach" event. It's a local organization he found online as a a way for people to, well, meet. The way he initially described it, I was a little apprehensive that it was going to be a swingers thing, but luckily that was not the case. (Not being swingers and all, sorry Lori.)

Anyways, it was at a martini bar in town. When we first got there, we were a little late, so wound up at the Newbies table. We were kind of holding on to our seats a little and waiting to get our toes wet, like the first day of junior high. I think people were a tad surprised when we finally burst out of our shells and started mingling.

Alcohol has a way of doing that sometimes.

Particularly to people who have recently lost weight and don't know their limits, which we both fit in to.

We met tons of people whose names I sort of remember and whose faces I also sort of remember, but I doubt I will be able to put them together again if/when I see them again.

I just can't reiterate enough though how INCREDIBLY exciting it is to have an organization devoted to helping people meet people. It seems like forever that we have been griping that we wish we had a way to meet new people to find fun things to do. While we are occasionally sort of good about generating the fun thing to do, we can't always generate people to do the fun thing with and then it's just me and Scott drunk in a bar. Well, shit -- we can drink at home much cheaper and have the same amount of fun.

We still didn't meet another couple to hang out with, which is the ultimate goal.

That's the thing the single people don't realize. They believe that once you get married, the dating is over. And it sort of is, but then the couple dating begins and that's even harder. Think about how hard it is to find someone to meet your own particular needs and demands. Then multiply that times two to meet the needs and demands of both you and your new soul mate. It ain't easy. It usually turns out that the kind of people you are attracted to in friends are not usually attracted to the same type of mate that you are -- so it's an uneven match. Game over.

Hence all the tv watching that occurs. It's often easier than trying to match up all the parts with other parts.

But, I was talking about the meet-in. (Can you tell the martinis haven't completely worn off yet?) We met a wide variety of people and had quite a few nice but shallow talks with them. I found someone to latch on to (which usually spells disaster) but we also met just other generally super nice people who make us want to go back out and try it again.

I mean after all, aren't we just a group of people who have such a hard time meeting people the traditional way that we resorted to the internet as a way to win friends and influence people? If nothing else, we have that in common, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you are soooo funny;)
You know that's one of the reason's people have kids>>>so they can make friends through the kids<<<<
It's a selling point I'm not buying into but I thought you might like to know...I heard getting a REALLY cute dog and going to the dog park works better though;)
Lori

Anonymous said...

Kids might be a good way to meet other parents/frieds (we have four,) but if your family is non-traditional it may not work. I am a nurse who works Thursday through Saturday nights, ever week. My husband is a stay-at-home-dad, who is very artistic and articulate and used to be a social worker and counselor.

Most men we meet are into cars, hunting, sports, etc. My husband is into reading (classics), playing musical instruments, painting/drawing, and writing. I am more into cars and sports than he is. In normal situations he has a hard time meeting contemporaries, but since me moved further south, it is even harder. Aren't there any educated, articulate men around?

However, with a non-traditional family style and non-traditional work schedules and home routines, we have NEVER found a couple to be friends with together. I like his friends and he likes mine, but we can't do the couple thing because of the partner incompatibility.

I wish there was something like your meet thing here.

Heather said...

They may have an organization where you are. Meet in is not specific to my area. Check out their website: http://www.meetin.org/


Popular Posts