Saturday, September 15, 2007

On my mind

One. Because Scott and I have been together for going on five years, I frequently forget the smugness (and often write about this same forgetfulness, I think) that comes with being in a basically stable, "normal" relationship.

No matter what we try to sell you, human beings are designed to be matched up. It's in our DNA. You've got to sell yourself on being alone when you're alone, but ultimately you wish you had someone in your life. There is nothing wrong with that.

Why is this on my mind? Met up with an old kickball pal tonight. She is actually in a relationship with a great guy but after a substantial amount of time together he has yet to tell her her loves her. It is different for different people but the bottom line is that it is nice to know it, nice to hear, nice to know it exists. When you see them together, it wouldn't occur to you that it's not something that is part of their regular vocabulary, but it is what its. And that's what I mean by the smugness. I know Scott loves me. It's never out of my mind ever. Things get high, things get low, things get boring, things get weird, things get tough -- he loves me and I love him. We're doing life. It is what is is. Maybe, despite the marriage thing, I won't always have that inate knowledge but for now there is a definite smugness and security that goes along with that.
I have accomplished a basic human need successfully.
Two. Filler people. I was re-reading old journals, something I had not done in a LONG time. Found a note about the filler people. The people who make up my day and basically the meat of my life but don't get journal space (or, in this case, blog space) because they do not cause drama. They do not hurt me or overtly amuse me or whatever it is that brings people in to the blog. Things that take it away from being about me.
But, in the end, it is your filler people who are the moments of your life. My cube mate. Or just the co-workers in general. The woman at my gym whom I love. My closest local friend. My long distance, seldom caught up with friends. My local friends I talk to 4 times a year but enjoy the catch-up calls. My family. My old neighbors. My old friends in South Dakota. My former in-laws. All these people who make up my life, past and present. They are rarely, if ever, documented.
My cube mate has the same birthday, 2 years later, than I do. I have now personally met and known 5 people who have my birthday.

How many people do you know with your birthday and you're not a twin?

And had them teach you in school or be a close friend or dated them???

It's not common, I think.

Filler people. They need their own day, like Mother's Day. Can't you hear the Bud Light commercial now? Real American heroes -- my fill up my day person with whom I have nothing in commmmmon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old hairdressers who abandon loyal friends to go across country just to turn around and come back again. Only cause I miss my filler people so much;)

Miss ya!
Lori

Heather said...

Yeah and even my new hairdresser who has broken her foot and I have no way to say hope you're doing okay!

Anonymous said...

I told her for you!
She is trying to get back to work in the next week or two but she will still have a cast on...She sounds good but she has been living with her mom;) That's always hard as an adult...
Loves!
Lori

Ms Mac said...

I've never met anyone who had the same birthday as me but I know I share my birthday with Cher (she's about 100 years older than me though) and it annoys me no end!

However, my very best friend in the whole world and I have our birthdays two days apart on the same year which is no great coincidence or anything until you factor in the fact that were met when we were 16 but had been born in the same town in a different country (England- nowhere exotic) and our mothers were very likely in the maternity ward in the hosp at the same time!

Well, I always find that amazing. Maybe you have to be there!

:-)

Heather said...

Ms Mac commented on my blog! I can now die happily...


Popular Posts