Thursday, May 11, 2006

If you're happy and you know it...

Today is my 33rd birthday, and I'm giving myself a present. From today on, I am going to accept being happy -- truly, deeply happy -- when I am happy and really learn to enjoy it and appreciate it. For too long in my life, I have downplayed the happiness I frequently feel in my life because of my various self-esteem issues. But, from today on I will enjoy being happy when I am happy -- especially knowing that it's never promised.

I think many people down play their joy. They feel undeserving or they feel arrogant or they just don't want to jinx it. Too much of the good stuff goes by because I don't stop to even realize how happy I am when I am. It's so cliche'd about stopping to smell the roses, but it's true.

Because when I'm not happy, because I'm angry or sad or bored or frustrated, Lord knows that I revel in that feeling and do not act like I don't feel that way. But for some reason, I feel almost shameful in my happiness, like it's wrong for me to appreciate the wonderful gifts that I have in my life.

Clapping my hands...

1 comment:

Rosebud said...

Happy, Happy Birthday ; - ) You're right about people downplaying being happy like it might cause other people to be unhappy. But it's really the opposite effect. People want to be around happy people because it becomes contagious like a yawn. Ever see people gravitate towards a cranky, unhappy person?
What I have also learned is that life is too short to not appreciate all the "good" you have in your life. We have to embrace the "good" so when the "bad" comes, we are more capable of recognizing and dealing with it.
So off my soapbox, I go

Love and miss you!!!


Popular Posts